QuadraFire Mt. Vernon AE - Loud Noise like vacuum cleaner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CJPrinceton

Jan 4, 2017
Princeton, NJ
Hi. I just joined the forum. I had a Mt. Vernon AE freestanding installed a few weeks ago by a dealer. I'm in central New Jersey. The unit it catty corner in a family room with a 2-level ceiling. There is an outside air kit, a few inches from the floor. Directly above the OAK, about 7 feet up is the exhaust vent.

Since the unit was installed it makes a very loud noise whenever it's running and it's almost constant. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner running or like a high pitched version of the sound when you blow across a bottle top. It gets louder and higher pitched as the flame gets larger and decreases pitch and a bit in volume as the flame decreases. Basically, as the flame ebbs and flows the noise matches it. I think it's the air intake motor or blower and it doesn't seem to be the blower or motor that expels hot air into the room. From the exterior if you listen directly at the OAK intake, you can very clearly hear the sound I'm referencing.

I'm running hardwood pellets and typically run it on auto but have also tried manual. I've tried increasing and decreasing the flame but those changes make no difference.

I'm planning to have the dealer/installer back out to check it out. Any ideas what the sound could be? Does this sound like normal behavior? The noise is loud enough to be heard in other rooms. Could this be an air leak? Defective motor? Bad install? It's a brand new unit.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

If the noise starts when you first start the stove it is the combustion fan motor which is located on the right side. you should not even be able to hear that stove run. It is by far the quietest stove out there. Sounds like a bad motor to me.

Reactions: CJPrinceton
Usually when I hear of this complaint, they say it sounds like a freight train. This is usually caused by too much fuel in pot, blocking air holes. It could aslo be motors as others have stated. This stove should run quiet as can be. It is time to call dealer and have it checked out. I would make sure it is not too much fuel first as they will probably charge a service call if it is just adjusting the fuel or changing fuel table. But they should of had it set correctly before they left. What fuel table are you on, and what altitude setting? kap

I have had the same type of sound. Doesn't happen all the time. I found that it did happen when I had the stove set in the mid or high setting. I seem to be the stove drawing oxygen for the fire. Thus, it sounds like blowing air over the neck opening on a jug/bottle. I can't say I've heard it lately. It maybe because tie holes in the burn pot change a bit in shape over time.

This is my best guess.

Reactions: kappel15
A supposed fix for this a while back was a plate Quad had people put in the backside of the firebox, to slow down the flow of air. I would think they would be standard out of the factory a while back. Some said it worked, some didn't. kap

Thanks for all of the quick replies! The dealer is coming back to check it out. I did expect the stove to be super quiet, and since it's not, I will press to make sure it's fixed to be as quiet as it should be!

Usually when I hear of this complaint, they say it sounds like a freight train. This is usually caused by too much fuel in pot, blocking air holes. It could aslo be motors as others have stated. This stove should run quiet as can be. It is time to call dealer and have it checked out. I would make sure it is not too much fuel first as they will probably charge a service call if it is just adjusting the fuel or changing fuel table. But they should of had it set correctly before they left. What fuel table are you on, and what altitude setting? kap
I haven't adjusted the altitude but I assume it was originally set to the default setting. It's set for hardwood pellets now. Originally set to utility. Same results either way.

Hi. I just joined the forum. I had a Mt. Vernon AE freestanding installed a few weeks ago by a dealer. I'm in central New Jersey. The unit it catty corner in a family room with a 2-level ceiling. There is an outside air kit, a few inches from the floor. Directly above the OAK, about 7 feet up is the exhaust vent.

Since the unit was installed it makes a very loud noise whenever it's running and it's almost constant. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner running or like a high pitched version of the sound when you blow across a bottle top. It gets louder and higher pitched as the flame gets larger and decreases pitch and a bit in volume as the flame decreases. Basically, as the flame ebbs and flows the noise matches it. I think it's the air intake motor or blower and it doesn't seem to be the blower or motor that expels hot air into the room. From the exterior if you listen directly at the OAK intake, you can very clearly hear the sound I'm referencing.

I'm running hardwood pellets and typically run it on auto but have also tried manual. I've tried increasing and decreasing the flame but those changes make no difference.

I'm planning to have the dealer/installer back out to check it out. Any ideas what the sound could be? Does this sound like normal behavior? The noise is loud enough to be heard in other rooms. Could this be an air leak? Defective motor? Bad install? It's a brand new unit.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

CJ, I've got a Quad MVAE circa 2011. Dealer installed with an OAK. It runs great and really pumps out the heat. Having said that, the convection fan, while not necessarily noisey can be heard because it's moving a lot of air. There is a quiet mode during which the fans runs slower but, then I would imagine, puts out less heat.. When my stove is cold and the thermostat call for heat a few minutes into the startup cycle it is god awful loud. I believe the combustion fan is resonating but have never been able to confirm it or eliminate it. I just live with it. If the dealer is reputable, and most are, he should be able to fix your problems. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

The dealer came out and heard the noise too. His opinion is that it's the heat exchanger blower motor making the noise. When it's on normal the noise is louder and it's quieter on the lower setting. Has anyone with this unit experienced a high pitch noise from that blower or really anything besides the sound of the air moving? Is that motor something that can be replaced, under warranty of course?

Last edited:
The dealer came out and heard the mouse too. His opinion is that it's the heat exchanger blower motor making the noise. When it's on normal the noise is louder and it's quieter on the lower setting. Has anyone with this unit experienced a high pitch noise from that blower or really anything besides the sound of the air moving? Is that motor something that can be replaced, under warranty of course?

Of course it is something that can get replaced, and should be under warranty. Didn't the dealer recommend to get it replaced while he was out to your house? You pay that much for a stove (the quietest on the market) it should be quiet. I would get it replaced for free.

If you are under warranty, it should be replaced. kap

The dealer put in for a service call on Jan. 27. He's sending one of his technicians out that has the same unit and is supposed to know everything there is to know about this model. As a sanity check - you all are saying that this stove should be pretty close to silent when running, meaning all you should hear is the sound of air moving and the pellets dropping? This thing really sounds like a vacuum cleaner running in an adjacent room. The pitch goes up and down more or less with the flame. I just can't imagine it should be making that much noise.

The fan will fluctuate with heat as it has 11 speeds. And no, it shouldn't be making that kind of noise. Pretty simple to remove and install new convection fan. Just a little time consuming. Just make sure he runs stove after putting everything back together as you have to lower or remove control board, and drop power supply. kap

The dealer came out and turned the flame way down. It was +3. They set it to -3. This actually made a big difference. The stove seems to run hotter now (could smell additional paint burn off) and the noise only happens during startup and shutdown when the flame is at a certain height. It seems like it was running in an odd spot before. Seems like a simple adjustment made the difference.

Potentially related, the glass now gets dirty very quickly - within half a day of running after cleaning. It's basically the top right quarter of the window. It gets covered in heavy brown soot quickly. Is that normal? Maybe try different fuel? It didn't soot up like that before we adjusted the flame.

Thanks!

Hi All - so I started up the stove for the first time this year, and that same noise is happening. I think I've captured it in the video I've linked here. When the stove first starts up, it's totally quiet. Whatever motor it is that expels the hot air into the room seems to be the one causing the high pitched hum. If I have the thermostat on Normal output speed, the noise is louder. If I set it to Quiet, you can still hear the noise, but the pitch goes down a bit and it's quieter. What motor is it that expels the hot air into the room? Does it sound to you like a normal sound? Should I insist the dealer change out this motor under warranty? I'm having a hard time believing this is a normal sound. Hopefully you can hear it and let me know if it's a normal sound or not! Thanks!!

I am getting no picture or sound out of your video. kap