Quadrafire Mt Vernon (NOT AE, E2) possible convection issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tardy

Nov 15, 2014
Gettysburg, PA
I searched the forums and did not find this particular issue so I apologize if this has been answered before. My question is about my Mount Vernon pellet stove. This is the older model, not the AE or E2. The problem I am having is, I believe, with the convection blower. It appears that the convection blower is actually two "blowers" . . . as I am facing the FRONT of the pellet stove there is the blower on the left . . . this is the one with the "screen" that if I look through it I can actually see the blower spinning (I will call this blower 1) and a blower on the right as you face the stove that seems to be for the fresh air intake, I do not have the piping for this hooked up, (I will call this blower 2). When my stove first kicks on there is a loud screeching sound that starts right at the beginning of operation and is constant up until I shut it off. When I shut it off the screeching continues to occur until at some point in the "cool down" process where it stops, however, blower 1 is still running. I believe that what happens is, when the stove kicks on blower 1 and blower 2 on the convection blower both kick on. I think it is blower 2 that is screeching. I believe that when I shut the stove down, after a certain temperature is reached blower 2 stops while blower 1 continues to run. I believe this is why the screeching stops even though the convection blower is still technically running. I don't believe the exhaust or combustion blower has anything to do with the screeching as the sound starts immediately, in other words, before the stove is hot enough to blow hot air. Here is my question . . is there any maintenance or anything I can do to try and fix this screeching? I have looked in the manual and it is not clear if this is accessible. I do see 3 screws right where Blower 2 might be but it looks like they actually mount the entire assembly to the stove. I am not super confident in my local repair folks as they have come out several times before on separate issues and, in the end, I have been the one who has fixed the problem, replacing snap discs . . that sort of thing. Any assistance you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated. There are 3 numbers under the lid, 81138 0, 24 0503, 7005-148. Again, I know this is an older stove and I know your preference would be that we go to an authorized repair center but any help you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

I searched the forums and did not find this particular issue so I apologize if this has been answered before. My question is about my Mount Vernon pellet stove. This is the older model, not the AE or E2. The problem I am having is, I believe, with the convection blower. It appears that the convection blower is actually two "blowers" . . . as I am facing the FRONT of the pellet stove there is the blower on the left . . . this is the one with the "screen" that if I look through it I can actually see the blower spinning (I will call this blower 1) and a blower on the right as you face the stove that seems to be for the fresh air intake, I do not have the piping for this hooked up, (I will call this blower 2). When my stove first kicks on there is a loud screeching sound that starts right at the beginning of operation and is constant up until I shut it off. When I shut it off the screeching continues to occur until at some point in the "cool down" process where it stops, however, blower 1 is still running. I believe that what happens is, when the stove kicks on blower 1 and blower 2 on the convection blower both kick on. I think it is blower 2 that is screeching. I believe that when I shut the stove down, after a certain temperature is reached blower 2 stops while blower 1 continues to run. I believe this is why the screeching stops even though the convection blower is still technically running. I don't believe the exhaust or combustion blower has anything to do with the screeching as the sound starts immediately, in other words, before the stove is hot enough to blow hot air. Here is my question . . is there any maintenance or anything I can do to try and fix this screeching? I have looked in the manual and it is not clear if this is accessible. I do see 3 screws right where Blower 2 might be but it looks like they actually mount the entire assembly to the stove. I am not super confident in my local repair folks as they have come out several times before on separate issues and, in the end, I have been the one who has fixed the problem, replacing snap discs . . that sort of thing. Any assistance you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated. There are 3 numbers under the lid, 81138 0, 24 0503, 7005-148. Again, I know this is an older stove and I know your preference would be that we go to an authorized repair center but any help you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

OK . . . . So, I hate to say this . . . I think it might actually be the combustion blower. I'm going to poke around and see if I can narrow it down. In the meantime, does anyone know if there is any kind of maintenance that can be done to the combustion blower? Clean out? Oil? Grasping at straws at this point. The screeching is very loud. I'd hate to have the repair guy come out when it is really a maintenance issue as I am sure he will just opt for replacement at $300 not including labor. Again, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. NOTE: The screeching tends to randomly go back and forth from VERY loud to just annoying and then back to VERY loud.

The only fan that comes on when you first start up the stove is the combustion blower. The only maintenance is to pull it out yearly and clean it. This requires a new gasket. This is your only option. When you have it out, you can try putting a little oil on shaft where it goes into bearing to try and "limp" along for a while,but in the end, you will need a new blower. I did have a buddy of mine once complain that his exhaust blower was making noise. He squirted it with a little wd40, and he has been going for two years now. Let us know how it goes. kap

The only fan that comes on when you first start up the stove is the combustion blower. The only maintenance is to pull it out yearly and clean it. This requires a new gasket. This is your only option. When you have it out, you can try putting a little oil on shaft where it goes into bearing to try and "limp" along for a while,but in the end, you will need a new blower. I did have a buddy of mine once complain that his exhaust blower was making noise. He squirted it with a little wd40, and he has been going for two years now. Let us know how it goes. kap

Yes . . . so after pulling the panel on the left side of the stove I realized that I could see, barely, the fan turning while it was on and was able to verify, on shutdown that the combustion blower was what has been making the awful noise . . . . but you know this. ;) . Sigh. I think that I will need to resign myself to the fact that a new combustion blower is needed. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Pondering just getting a new stove . . . the repairs on this one are getting more and more . . . this is the second blower for this box . . . the metal panels in the burn box are warped so I can't pull them to clean . . . firepot is showing some serious wear . . . rattles like the tin man . . hahaha. Thanks again for the help! Betsy was a good stove.

Sounds like it has served you well. I agree. Time for a new stove. kap

He squirted it with a little wd40, and he has been going for two years now.
WD40 is not a good lubricant. It does a half decent job of desolving crud on the bearing, but it's real value is as a drying agent. The WD in WD40 stands for water displacement.
Still a temporary fix, but hopefully less temporary, I find Duralube spray to be a much better lubricant. It is a light synthetic (star molecule) oil that has an amazing affinity for metal. It will literally push dirt and gummy lubricant off the surface.

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
No, it is not, but it does have a nice straw to reach in there. And is a good bait attractant. lol I'll have to give the Duralube a try. Thanks for the tip

My 9 year old 1200i is on it's 3rd blower (last one changed 2013-2014 season). I'm pretty good cleaning and maintaining my stove, there is not much you can do for the blower since it is a sealed unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.