Quadrafire Mt. Vernon vs. the Mt. Vernon AE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vegiepower

Hearth Supporter
Great forum. I am going to buy a pellet stove and have decided on a quadrafire because of the local dealer. My dilemna is there seem to be two options. I know the AE is for fuels alternative to wood pellets. Locally they are $4000. The dealer told me they are blowing out the Mt. Vernon's for $2199. I am only now figuring out that the AE replaces the Mt Vernon....or at least I think that to be true. So any thoughts on whether the AE is $2000 superior. I had originally wanted the more fuels options but realistically, I will likely burn mostly wood...

More features on the AE I guess. Any other advantages?

Thanks

Torie

The AE does burn all the other fuels, that will likely be an advantage in the future. Right now you are right, most people burn wood or corn or both. So that part is up to you. There have also been posts about the AE model that say you have to have a laptop to work on them using a proprietary cable that connects to the control board. Whether or not this is an issue to you is a matter of personal opinion. Many people didn't want to/like buying cars with computers in them. Do a search for Mt Vernon posts there have been numerous ones, that will give you a good indication of consumer real world experiences.

buy the old one it is a much more reliablle stove it may be a littel louder but it has alot better chance to work out of the box the ae is the problem child and i would stay a way.

stoveguy13 said:
buy the old one it is a much more reliablle stove it may be a littel louder but it has alot better chance to work out of the box the ae is the problem child and i would stay a way.

The problem child is now a strapping teenager.

The AE has had some initial problems. Make sure the AE is fresh from the factory and hasn't been sitting in his showroom for a year. Be sure to get board and wall control that has the two fan settings...they are the latest. Also...you have to be able to depend on your dealer...but this is true with any stove. I like our AE.

Status
Not open for further replies.