Quadrafire Santa Fe, 2004 not working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

987dooner987

Jan 8, 2022
New Hampshire
I have a 2004 Quadrafire Santa Fe pellet stove with the original three speed gray control box (HHT#7000-160). The stove, when plugged in, will power up the exhaust motor, the red thermostat light will light up (t stat is turned up), the green light on top of the box lights up solid green, and the red light will flash. The red call for heat light will go out momentarily when the reset is pushed. It will not do anything further. The vacuum switch hose is clean though the vacuum switch seems to be sticking closed unless tapped (tested with ohm meter). I've pushed the snap disc buttons to see if they need resetting but hasn't changed the issue.

Does anyone know what the flashing red on the control box means? There is nothing in the original manual on a flashing light that I can find. The manual just references the red light coming on signifying that the stove has reached operating temp. I'm leaning towards a possible problem with the thermocouple but don't have a multimeter that does millivolts (unless it's a dead thermocouple and I'm getting nothing on multimeter)

Does the combustion fan start up when the stove is started?

Does the combustion fan start up when the stove is started?
Plug the stove in, combustion fan/motor starts right up, red light for a heat call comes on and off with the t stat. Green light on the control box illuminates steady right away and the red light on the control box starts flashing immediately. It does nothing else. I don't believe the ignitor comes on. I can toss pellets in and light them with a torch but it doesn't feed anymore from there. I have power at the snap discs. The vacuum tube was full of junk but I blew that out. I used an ohm meter to test the vacuum switch. It was showing continuity regardless of power to the unit. I tapped it and the switch opened. It closed again as soon as the exhaust fan kicked on so I know it's pulling in. It seems to be sticking closed so the control box will think it's always got vacuum ( unless I tap it again). I've tried unplugging one of the leads on the vacuum switch at start up then plugging it in to simulate no vacuum then vacuum but it made no difference. I'm not sure if it's the control board, thermocouple, or what. I can't find any information as to what the flashing red would mean. The manual just references it solid red showing it has reached operating temp. I also can't find much info on the old control boxes. Most links show the clear box with a blue light in it.

Has the auger motor failed? My Santa Fe is a few years later, and different control box. But the next step in the startup sequence is to drop some pellets. Short of failure, might it be jammed in the chute?

I'm not sure. I've had it jam up before and cleared it but seem to remember the motor trying to move. I'll have to probe the leads to see if voltage is being sent to it. The other funny part is the combustion blower comes on and stays on regardless of a call for heat. I've never seen the red light flash before and I can't find any information on what it might mean. I did get in contact with a person on youtube who posted a video showing a diagnostic test on the control box with information on contacting him at the end of the video. I texted the number. He responded and after seeing the info stated he believed the control box had failed. I don't mind replacing the control box but where it's a 2004 I don't want to toss parts at it blindly hoping it would fix it.

Check snap disc #2. You could try jumping it.

I used an ohm meter to test the vacuum switch. It was showing continuity regardless of power to the unit. I tapped it and the switch opened. It closed again as soon as the exhaust fan kicked on so I know it's pulling in. It seems to be sticking closed so the control box will think it's always got vacuum ( unless I tap it again). I've tried unplugging one of the leads on the vacuum switch at start up then plugging it in to simulate no vacuum then vacuum but it made no difference.
The control box needs to see vac. so that the auger can supply pellets
If no vac is sensed no pellet feed!!!

The control box needs to see vac. so that the auger can supply pellets
If no vac is sensed no pellet feed!!!
the vacuum switch I found was sticking closed. Not sure if the control box senses and determines that there should be no vacuum initially and then vacuum or just cares that there is vacuum. If the control box only cares that there is in fact vacuum it has it via a sticky vac switch. If I tap it without the exhaust/combustion blower going I can see it open when my ohm meter is attached to both leads. I can also see the switch close again when the unit is powered up. I've tried disconnecting one lead at start up and then plugging it back in to simulate the vac switch open then closed.

Plug the stove in, combustion fan/motor starts right up, red light for a heat call comes on and off with the t stat. Green light on the control box illuminates steady right away and the red light on the control box starts flashing immediately. It does nothing else.
How many times does the red light flash? Does it pause and then flash again? Does it stop after about 1 minute?

It should flash according to what you have the dial set to.

I have power at the snap discs.

What did your meter tell you on snap disk #2? Did you check both sides of it?

How many times does the red light flash? Does it pause and then flash again? Does it stop after about 1 minute?

It should flash according to what you have the dial set to.

What did your meter tell you on snap disk #2? Did you check both sides of it?
I'd have to check snap disc 2 again. I don't remember. The control box is from 2004. There is no dial. It just flashes with no pattern that I can see other than on....off...on...off

Thank you! But that manual is for a stove with a new control box. Mine is an old grey box, not clear. There is no blue light. I only have two lights on the control box. Red and green. No dial to turn. I don't recall ever seeing the red light on that flash. It's a steady slow flash and will sit there for hours doing that. I have the original manual for the stove but can't find any information on it for flashing red.

If you verify that it's not the safety lock outs and that the auger turns when voltage is applied to it the control board upgrade is the next option. Call Pantrol in Spokane, WA and they will sell you the upgraded board cheaper than other places as they are the ones who manufacture them.