Quadrafire Wall Control Cutting Out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cavermedic

Jun 13, 2008
Southern Vermont
The wall control display on our Quadrafire Mt Vernon AE Insert has been cutting in and out for the past few weeks. No apparent pattern, has been out on occasion when we get home. May be as often as several times a day. Manual suggests static electricity or loose wire. Can't see what would be causing static electricity (never been a problem) and have not done anything to move the stove recently.

Will reset if I unplug the stove, and sometimes resets on its own. Will not reset by simply "pushing any button". I can't tell if it is affecting the stove operation, but it has happened twice so far today and the stove seems to keep running normally.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I call in the pros from Dover? They are good but not cheap!

Try just lifting the tstat wires where they are connected to the stove. Those wire ends are real weak. When you get a chance, cut those wire ends off and just wire the wires to screws. Also on the back side of those screws on stove, there is a zip tie on those wires. Carefully cut it off as some of them are too tight. Remember to unplug stove before cutting ends off. And if you ever have to replace the tstat wires, get a better quality. kap

Agree with Kap.

The only bad part of owning an MVAE is that hideous tstat. On #3 in 4 years, and yes, it's the only one that works with this stove. Try Kap's suggestions, and make sure tstat wire is not running along side electric lines anywhere.

It is also important that the tstat wires are not moving or vibrating. Motion of the wires will induce static electricity from the insulation rubbing against the conductor. It's called tribo-electric effect.
I had problems with mine until I replaced the wire and stapled it so that it can't move. It has been reliable ever since.

Quad wiring1.JPG
ry just lifting the tstat wires where they are connected to the stove. Those wire ends are real weak. When you get a chance, cut those wire ends off and just wire the wires to screws. Also on the back side of those screws on stove, there is a zip tie on those wires. Carefully cut it off as some of them are too tight. Remember to unplug stove before cutting ends off. And if you ever have to replace the tstat wires, get a better quality. kap

Just double-checking, since the owners manual doesn't give a hint about which wires are which and my wife HATES it when I pull out tools of mass destruction without reading the directions:
1. I assume that the three wires coming in at the front (just below the power cord) are coming from the wall control since they are branching out of a white wire cover. These are the wires you suggest re-wiring?
2. The three wires that go out the back of the plate have a zip tie about 8 inches back, barely visible in left side of pic. Unzip that tie?

Not sure of anything else that would be moving since the stove has been in about 6 years and the problem didn't show up until this summer, but I'll go see what I can see where the wire is visible through the basement.

You are correct. Just make sure to unplug stove first, and color coded wires back in same place. kap

Status
Not open for further replies.