Quality fence charger... Does one exist?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
I had a zereba solar charger. Worked for a season. Kaput!

Just installed another Zereba charger, 110v, this spring (may). Kaput!

I'm done with zareba.

Before I dump another couple hundred bucks into a new charger, I'd like to find a brand that will last and won't break the bank. Any suggestions? Did I just win the charger-fail-lottery or is this to be expected with modern chargers?

(My childhood memory says that every charger I ever saw was a metal behemoth covered in an inch of dust, manure, bird droppings, whatever. Makes me think e of timey ones were built to last. The new ones are built to sell anger one.)

I just replaced a 37 year old charger ! I looked at all kinds of new ones
they all had 1 feature I did not like or want Automatic charging with a circuit
board that read your battery . The one I bought has one word on it that no other
one had MANUAL . Found it at Canadian tire in Canada for 149$ on sale Half price
Can charge a totally flat batter ,has boost capabilities and other options
should last the rest of my life Yes it is a large wheeled model

Reactions: bfitz3
I just replaced a 37 year old charger ! I looked at all kinds of new ones
they all had 1 feature I did not like or want Automatic charging with a circuit
board that read your battery . The one I bought has one word on it that no other
one had MANUAL . Found it at Canadian tire in Canada for 149$ on sale Half price
Can charge a totally flat batter ,has boost capabilities and other options
should last the rest of my life Yes it is a large wheeled model
Sorry... I was not clear in my post... I'm looking for an electric fence charger. :). I need something with some oomph for a small space. I have an orchard that needs to be protected from hoards of deer, and a bee yard that may see an occasional bear.