Qudrafire won't stay running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bfraasch

Jan 14, 2020
Deer Park, Washington
Hello everyone,
My quadrafire won't stay running after the initial ignition of the pellets that drop. When the pellets ignite and catch fire, the stove will not stay running. I suspected the thermocouple so I replaced it- no change. It produces 12-14 mV when warm. I have also replaced the control box and snap switches. I ohm tested all the wiring in the stove and box- all tested ok. The vacuum switch operates ok as well. Stove has been cleaned. Any suggestions?

What stove do you have ? TIme to start checking things by process of elimination. First, make sure the tc is touching the inside end of the cover, and that it is sticking in the pot at least 3/4". Then try jumping vac wires together and see if stove works. Make sure not to ground wires on stove. If not that, try jumping #2 snap disc wires. You can also make sure you are getting enough fuel for a good fire as you only have so long for proof of fire, or stove will go into shutdown mode. Does the green light in control box ever come on? Let us know results. kap

What stove do you have ? TIme to start checking things by process of elimination. First, make sure the tc is touching the inside end of the cover, and that it is sticking in the pot at least 3/4". Then try jumping vac wires together and see if stove works. Make sure not to ground wires on stove. If not that, try jumping #2 snap disc wires. You can also make sure you are getting enough fuel for a good fire as you only have so long for proof of fire, or stove will go into shutdown mode. Does the green light in control box ever come on? Let us know results. kap

I have a quadrafire 1100i. The tc is touching the inside of the cover and is adjusted to 1" inside the pot. I jumped the vacuum switch as well as the snap switch. The auger drops an average amount of fuel. I have no lights on the control box- I replaced the control box twice but still no lights.

Is the TC aftermarket or oem? Been a lot of bad aftermarket TC’s and igniters this season.

Reactions: kappel15
Try throwing a handful of pellets in after fire gets going and see if you can get the green light to come on in control box. This means the stove has reached 200*, and should start feeding again. kap

It never turns green light on ? Then it has to be something with the tc

Do you have the tc wires connected backwards ?

After a closer look, I originally had the wires in the correct locations. It appears the wire from the new thermocouple were manufactured incorrectly. I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem but I heard that there have been a lot of faulty aftermarket thermocouples. Maybe this will help. Thanks again for help with my stove- it's running like a champ!

Reactions: kappel15