Question about bends in pipe before going to wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firenutz

Hearth Supporter
Sep 13, 2008
Northeastern PA
I'm going to be installing a Mt. Vernon on a corner hearth I made. To meet my clearance requirements on the exterior, I'll need to add a couple bends before going through the wall. I'll need to use a 90 deg. elbow directly off the back of the stove, then about a foot straight pipe, then another elbow (likely a 45 deg.) right before it goes through the wall thimble. On the exterior I'll have a cleanout "T" and I'll go up as needed for clearances. Are there any issues with having these 2 bends so close to the back of the stove? I really don't want to go through the roof if I don't have to.

In most cases on venting, it's not the LOCATION of your elbows, it's the QUANTITY.
Check your manual..If it says you can install with (3) 90s, you're ok,
cuz you have 45* LESS than (3) 90s...

DAKSY said:
In most cases on venting, it's not the LOCATION of your elbows, it's the QUANTITY.
Check your manual..If it says you can install with (3) 90s, you're ok,
cuz you have 45* LESS than (3) 90s...
I did the calculations and I'll be well within my footage length. I just wasn't sure if the configuration would cause any draft issues in the event of a power outage.

My manual says no more than three 45s. If you do more than that you need to use larger pipe. Say 4 inch or 5 inch or something.

Edit:

Whoops, I think I meant 3 90s

mark :)

My manual says no more than 2-90s. I have a similar set up to yours--a 90 on a cleanout T right off the stove, up three feet inside then a 90 directly to a wall thimble then a 45 at the outside end of the vent.

My stove also calls for a minimum 3 feet verticle. I have tested it and my stove has snuffed out a few times by itself and I didn't get a wisp of smoke back in the house. I think I've seen a picture of a vent set up similar to yours on here or on another site. You shouldn't have a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.