Question about castable refractory cement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used it twice. Once was to re pour the entire floor of my burn chamber when I replaced my nozzles with cast steel ones.

The other time, I made some simple molds to make one piece slabs to replace the fire brick in my secondary area. The floor was replaced last summer, and performed great. The slabs were this summer, but I expect similar results.

I used 'nox crete' I believe the trade name was. I did not use any stainless steel needles mixed in. Bought it at a local brick and block place.

JP

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with using castable refractory cement before?

I found a site that seems to have a good deal on some but I wanted to ask about it first.

Here's a link to it

http://www.northlineexpress.com/rutland-castable-refractory-cement-12-5-lb-4750.html

Have used it to make components, and re-form the base for our boiler. Add water gradually as you make your mix so it will make a hardball size lump and will stay together with a little sag as the lump is tossed lightly from one hand to the other. Cover with damp rags or towels so it cures slowly. Use a series of small fires to cure or slowly drive the moisture from the component made. To much heat too fast will result in cracking.

I'v bought it @ Menards before and used in my cylindrical firebox in my coal furnace. It has held up for a few years now...

Status
Not open for further replies.