Question about chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cchimko

Hearth Supporter
Hi all, I just bought a Heatilater CAB50 pellet stove (http://www.heatilatorecochoice.com/products/details.asp?cat=pellet-stoves&f=CAB50) and I want to hook it up to my existing chimney. I assume I need to install a chimney liner. The exhaust collar on the stove has a 3" diameter, and the diameter of the ceramic chimney pipe is 6.5". I need to know what size of liner I should purchase. Can I just use a 3" liner and hook it directly to the stove? Or do I need a larger liner and an adapter of some sort? And are there any draft considerations? Any info would be useful. Thanks.

Hi all, I just bought a Heatilater CAB50 pellet stove (http://www.heatilatorecochoice.com/products/details.asp?cat=pellet-stoves&f=CAB50) and I want to hook it up to my existing chimney. I assume I need to install a chimney liner. The exhaust collar on the stove has a 3" diameter, and the diameter of the ceramic chimney pipe is 6.5". I need to know what size of liner I should purchase. Can I just use a 3" liner and hook it directly to the stove? Or do I need a larger liner and an adapter of some sort? And are there any draft considerations? Any info would be useful. Thanks.

Free standing or Insert ?

All the information you will need will be in the install instructions that will come with the stove. However if you have not received that yet you also can download the install instructions from most stove makers web sites. In those instructions will be drawings of various possible layouts, I'm sure yours is one of them !

That said, some manufacturers allow for a short run of pipe into a clay liner of 6" size, others require a full liner. If you exceed an EVL of 15 ft, most manufacturers then require a 4" liner or venting to the top of the chimney.. Most installers advise to run the 4" liner anyway. Typically you would use a clean out T. If this is a fireplace install the T would go in the fireplace. A wall install with free standing stove into an existing wall thimble has a couple of different options for cleanouts. Some people use two. Most often there is at least one and at the back of the stove. That creates a 90 to run your vertical run up to the thimble. But it's hard to describe much without your setup layout.

Thanks. So it is a freestanding stove and it would be going into the existing wall thimble. Sounds like the 4" liner is the way to go. I assume EVL is the height of the chimney? And how does the 4" liner hook into the 3" exhaust?

EVL is a calculation of all your venting, horizontal, vertical, T's , 45 deg elbows, 90 deg elbows all have a value. However a good rough figure is if you know that all your pipes figure out over 15 ft, just do 4". I did 4" right off the back of the stove because my chimney is 26 ft tall, never minds T's and elbow calculations, didn't matter. Additionally, my suggestion is that even with an EVL close to 15 ft, go 4" anyway. About the only 3" I suggest is when it's straight out the back for about 26". But that's me and not everyone listens to me which is fine ! Also another view is if to go 4" you can't really make a mistake.

They make adapters to go from 3" to 4", 4" to 6" etc. They make T's with 3" in and 4" out as well. And there is an adapter to go from pellet vent double wall to a flex liner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wilbur Feral
Status
Not open for further replies.