Question about combustible clearance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi all, I"m new to the forum. I have been reading for months now, but have my first question to post.

We moved into a house in the spring that has a big old Kozi wood stove. I recently purchased a very lightly used Pacific energy super 27 off craigslist that I plan on installing in place of the kozi.

I spent the spring/summer cutting, salvaging, scrounging and stacking 5.5 cords of douglas fir and hemlock.

Now with summer coming to a close, I'm getting ready to install the wood stove, get the chimney cleaned and inspected, and finally have the stove inspected/certified.

We are renovating the house to be quite modern/clean lined, so I would like to remove the stone on the wall and hearth. The stove sits on a concrete floor, so ember protection won't be an issue without the hearth.

I would like to put solid wood paneling along the back wall in place of the stone. As I understand it, this would be fine as long as I meet the clearance to combustibles requirements of both the stove and the pipe, same as if it was simply a drywalled wall. Is this correct? Or is it foolish to put wood paneling behind a stove?

My other question is how to deal with where the pipe goes through the wall. I'm hoping to use the existing thimble and place a steel trim around the thimble to keep the wood paneling within acceptable clearance to the pipe. Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20180825_084954.jpg
    IMG_20180825_084954.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 219
As long as the clearances are honored or exceeded wood paneling behind the stove is ok. One caveat. The wood may shrink due to the heat of the stove and stove pipe. The wood paneling would need to respect the clearance requirement for the stove pipe too. Where it exits the wall that would be 6" for double wall stove pipe and 18" for single wall.

Before proceeding, consider other options like tile or even a lightening wash over the stone. There is tile made in woodgrain patterns if that helps.

Last edited:
The other thing is what is behind that stone? Is it a full masonry wall or is it just a veneer? If it is a veneer over framing do you have enough masonry around the crock going through the wall? You would need 12" of solid masonry all around the crock.

You would need 12" of solid masonry all around the crock.
Is there a metal chimney or masonry chimney? If there is a metal chimney with a proper thimble for the wall penetration then it could be ok. If masonry, then it needs a safe thimble or the proper clearances as noted.

Is there a metal chimney or masonry chimney? If there is a metal chimney with a proper thimble for the wall penetration then it could be ok. If masonry, then it needs a safe thimble or the proper clearances as noted.
Very true it looked like a masonry chimney from what i could see but it could be metal which makes my post irrelevant

I'd kill to have that backdrop around my garage stove...

Id see first what a lightening wash would do like begreen said.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

It is stone veneer on wood framed wall, with insulated steel chimney going through a thimble. I removed the old stove pipe today. Here's a pic of the insulated pipe at the stone, and from the back side showing the pipe going through the wood framed wall. Does that seem like it's done correctly? Looks like about an inch of air space around the insulated pipe.

The insulated pipe sticks out past the framing over 4" so it shouldn't be a problem getting the 6" clearance to some double walled pipe. Just to clarify, is the 6" to the centre of the pipe? or the outer edge. Either way, should be adequate.

I know lots of people would like the stone veneer behind the stove, but it just doesn't work with the design we're going forward with on the renovation. Anyone is welcome to come pick up the stone after it's removed! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20180826_152403.jpg
    IMG_20180826_152403.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20180826_152437.jpg
    IMG_20180826_152437.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 210