Question about drywall and heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Elle

Burning Hunk
Apr 20, 2012
North East Pennsylvania
I actually don't think this belongs here, but I like and trust the forum more than google :) and this is the closest I could find on the forums. I have a oil furnace with cast iron radiators that run hot water thru them. I use it on bitter nights that my wood stove just can't keep up. I want to put painted drywall behind on of the radiators. The painted drywall, will be touching the radiator. Usually the temp is about 180 going thru the pipes.

Do I have to worry about anything? fire? I'm sure the sheet rock and the paper won't ignite, but not sure about the paint. It's regular Benjamin Moore paint.

Thanks, sorry if this doesn't belong here (I'm sure it doesn't) But if you wouldn't mind giving an opinion I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

How are you going to apply the paint if the radiator is in front and touching the wall?

it's already painted and in place :) I shimmied it in there and it's tight against the radiator.

The heat will not cause the paint (acrylic latex) to ignite. Material is fire resistant. In fact you could apply a thick coat of acrylic latex glue (white glue) on a piece of wood, let it cure and toss it in a fire. The wood will burn away and you'll be able to fish the glue out of the ashes.

Reactions: Elle
thank you very much!

And the surface temps of the radiator aren't hot enough to start wood on fire.