Elle Posted By Elle, May 13, 2018 at 8:40 AM

1. Elle

Elle
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 20, 2012
    Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    I actually don't think this belongs here, but I like and trust the forum more than google :) and this is the closest I could find on the forums. I have a oil furnace with cast iron radiators that run hot water thru them. I use it on bitter nights that my wood stove just can't keep up. I want to put painted drywall behind on of the radiators. The painted drywall, will be touching the radiator. Usually the temp is about 180 going thru the pipes.

Do I have to worry about anything? fire? I'm sure the sheet rock and the paper won't ignite, but not sure about the paint. It's regular Benjamin Moore paint.

Thanks, sorry if this doesn't belong here (I'm sure it doesn't) But if you wouldn't mind giving an opinion I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Fred61

Fred61
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    How are you going to apply the paint if the radiator is in front and touching the wall?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Elle

Elle
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 20, 2012
    Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    it's already painted and in place :) I shimmied it in there and it's tight against the radiator.

4. Fred61

Fred61
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Nov 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    The heat will not cause the paint (acrylic latex) to ignite. Material is fire resistant. In fact you could apply a thick coat of acrylic latex glue (white glue) on a piece of wood, let it cure and toss it in a fire. The wood will burn away and you'll be able to fish the glue out of the ashes.

Elle likes this.
  5. Elle

Elle
    Member 2.
    NULL

Apr 20, 2012
    Loc:
    North East Pennsylvania
    thank you very much!

6. E Yoder

E Yoder
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Floyd, VA
    And the surface temps of the radiator aren't hot enough to start wood on fire.