Question about Flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Burnny

Oct 7, 2022
Portland Maine
Have been running a Federal Airtight for years with occasional backdraft issue. Looking to upgrade. Chimney is exterior brick with 7” square ceramic liner. About 25 feet straight up from stove pipe joint. Currrent stove pipe is 6”. Looking at Jotul 400 - manual says required 8” flu. So that is probably not a match. So is it going to be hard to find a decent stove that will use 6” pipe to 7” flu? Should I stick with what I have and try to improve draft (draft cap) Thanks

5ED1B10F-8ABB-4480-88EE-67C49AB46B2D.jpeg

Have been running a Federal Airtight for years with occasional backdraft issue. Looking to upgrade. Chimney is exterior brick with 7” square ceramic liner. About 25 feet straight up from stove pipe joint. Currrent stove pipe is 6”. Looking at Jotul 400 - manual says required 8” flu. So that is probably not a match. So is it going to be hard to find a decent stove that will use 6” pipe to 7” flu? Should I stick with what I have and try to improve draft (draft cap) Thanks

View attachment 300195
Most modern stoves are going to run on a 6" vent. This may work ok with your 7x7 clay.

View attachment 300195
F400 is a 6” flue. Shopping used stoves? (F400 is not longer available). I like mine wish it was bigger.

The F400 takes a 6" flue. Believe me, I owned one.
This is what the manual says:
1.3 Chimney Connector
Use 6” single wall or listed 6” double-wall stovepipe to connect the stove to the chimney.

The backdraft issue may be for other reasons. It could be that a fan or appliance turning on is creating negative pressure in the room. This could be a furnace, clothes dryer, kitchen fan, etc.

Reactions: EbS-P
So I understand stove pipe 6” is standard but wondering about 7 “ clay liner in chimney.
It may work depending upon height condition etc etc has the system been fully inspected by a professional?