Question about installing fireplace insert - need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TCW

Oct 16, 2020
AR
I found a great deal on a new Buck 91 - pre cat. My chimney is masonry, with 13 inch clay lined pipe, 22 fee in length with a 6 X 32 inch metal damper over the fireplace. The Buck 91 has an 8 inch output. Can I reduce that 8 down to 6 , so that I can use a 6 inch insulated liner in the chimney. I don't really want to take a torch to the damper, because is is heavy thick steel. Thoughts.

I found a great deal on a new Buck 91 - pre cat. My chimney is masonry, with 13 inch clay lined pipe, 22 fee in length with a 6 X 32 inch metal damper over the fireplace. The Buck 91 has an 8 inch output. Can I reduce that 8 down to 6 , so that I can use a 6 inch insulated liner in the chimney. I don't really want to take a torch to the damper, because is is heavy thick steel. Thoughts.
Nope needs to be 8" and you also don't need a torch. A grinder or sawzall works fine

Nope needs to be 8" and you also don't need a torch. A grinder or sawzall works fine

I'm a newbie with stove installation, but I found it remarkably easy to remove my damper and part of the frame with an angle grinder w/ cutting wheel. It's cast iron, took about 5 minutes. Don't forget the googles and dust mask!

Reactions: Sailrmike
Mine will be a little more difficult. Back when I had a steel fab facility, we built the house. I needed a damper and I had the thing custom made. I drew it on the table and handed it to foreman and said use some scraps in the shop. Well we were working on a project at the time that was using half in steel. took two guys to put in in back of my truck and two guys to put in in place. It's going to take a torch to cut it

Mine will be a little more difficult. Back when I had a steel fab facility, we built the house. I needed a damper and I had the thing custom made. I drew it on the table and handed it to foreman and said use some scraps in the shop. Well we were working on a project at the time that was using half in steel. took two guys to put in in back of my truck and two guys to put in in place. It's going to take a torch to cut it
A grinder will cut it just fine