Question about liner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gargra03

Mar 20, 2017
Virginia
Hello everyone
I am a newbie here and we recently purchased a home with a 6 inch liner installed with an insert. After checking everything out it looks as the the liner was cut flush at the top of chimney and with Roxul stuffed around it and a 13x18 chimney rain cap was installed. Do I need to remove the rain cap and install a top plate then rain cap or will the current setup suffice.

You should have a top plate at least. I've reused the original masonry cap on occasion, but still use a top plate and storm collar clamp.
I would also assume the installers probably skimped on other things as well, like insulation on the liner. What insert is the liner hooked to?

It is hooked to a Ashley bay front stove. The liner looks uninsulated but the chimney is a interior masonry chimney. If I out a top cap on how would you suggest I extend the liner enough to secure it in top place.