Ginofav1 Posted By Ginofav1, May 31, 2019 at 10:48 PM

1. Ginofav1

Ginofav1
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 31, 2019
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Just purchased a home with a huge wood stove ? In the barn . It appears to be in good condition ie not rot or heavy rust . Just trying to find some information about it
    It’s big , hard to even explain
    The door on it say EVER READY HP KINSEY CO. Easton PA
    Any information would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Looks like a coal furnace without its outer jacket. HP Kinsey appears to still be in business.
    999 Bushkill Drive, Easton PA 18042

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ginofav1

Ginofav1
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 31, 2019
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    How would one work this puppy ? Can I burn wood in it ? Or better idea to stick to coal . I see what you are saying about the outer jacket now .

4. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    The install looks very unsafe as well. You should not burn it at all untill that is addressed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Ginofav1

Ginofav1
    New Member 2.
    NULL

May 31, 2019
    Loc:
    New Jersey
    Oh boy really ? What looks unsafe ?

6. bholler

bholler
    Chimney sweep 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Galvanized pipe should not be used. That pipe is running downhill when it should be running up to some sort of homemade wall passtrough right over top of a work bench when that pipe needs 18" of clearance. And that is just the stuff that jumps out at me to start off

paulnlee likes this.
  7. redmanlcs

redmanlcs
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 20, 2017
    Loc:
    West Virginia
    I bet the whole space gets filled with smoke when you first light a fire on a cold start. I would def worry about carbon monoxide when running with that setup.. bad bad.. again get it away from the table, galvanized gives off poison fumes when heated but personally have seen my crazy family use them all season without a problem, not to say they won't develop lung cancer in a few years tho.. and you must have the flue in at least an uphill angle. good luck!

8. ct01r

ct01r
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 10, 2018
    Loc:
    Eastern Pa.
    I'm guessing the line in the first photo isn't a crack (side of the firebox towards the top) since you said it was in good shape, but I had to point it out. If you can control the air going in, and fix the issues already pointed out (new pipe, etc.) you can burn wood. I've often burn wood in coal stove, but the stoves typically leak air in like a sieve so the wood burns faster. Curt