Question about reusing deck wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny11950

Minister of Fire
May 17, 2010
Eastern Long Island, NY
I tore down the old deck next to the house. It has to be at least 25 years old.

I am pretty sure the wood is treated, and it is painted red. It smells like pine.

Anyway, I have a lot of boards that I can use for other projects around the garden.

Mainly I would like to make a couple of compost bins, the product of which would only be used on flower plants and shrubs. Maybe a few flower beds.

Can I do this, or is the risk of leaching too great?

Old PT may be Arsenide.....I wouldn't. Find some other wood and sleep well at night. Who knows if the next owner of your house plants veggies there?

Or you could have it tested??

Yep if it's that old & PT you have the nasty stuff. Plenty of nasty chemicals & heavy metals in the old stuff if it's PT wood. Depends on the local formula oc but this is the stuff that was removed when it was found to be readily absorbed through the bottoms of toddlers feet while they played on the deck. A not so proud period in the building supply industry. Locally chromium copper arsenate was popular back then, no longer with good reason.

thank you for the responses, guys. i will not use them for the compost bins or flower beds.

i do want to make an outdoor table for gardening purposes and maybe a cheap tool shed.

Status
Not open for further replies.