Question about stove pipe routing on a steep roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Justin1974

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburg NH
Hello all! New here but have been lurking for a while. I'm building a new home in northern NH this spring and had some questions in regards to the stove pipe routing. I've included a floor plan so you can see my stove location. The walls are 9'4" and the roof will be a 12-12, completely open cathedral throughout the 30x30 footprint. There is a 15x15 loft up the stairs. Also the stairs closest to the stove will be shortened by 4 steps so they won't be as close to the stove.

Following the 10-3-2 rule if I run my stove pipe straight up and through the roof i'll have a super tall run to stay within the set guidelines. I would imagine it would need substantial bracing, is this even feasible? Would it be too tall? I included a picture which shows a stove in a location similar to mine and they ran the stove pipe parallel to the roof line then through the roof closer to the peak.

We're going to have an oil furnace as well with a masonry chimney to the left of the front entryway that is not shown on the plans. As you can see this spot for the stove is really my only option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject. Thanks, Justin

Attachments

• IMG_9987.jpg
    IMG_9987.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 314
  • 127258-f03420342dff99828ad6bc5c5042588f.jpg
    127258-f03420342dff99828ad6bc5c5042588f.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 1,284
I imagine it is a little frosty in Pitts,burg, NH these days.
My thought is that you could perhaps move the masonry chimney to where the stove is and have them add a separate flue for the wood stove., it would have to be lined with a SS insulated flue so that is a consideration. And I believe you would be more than 10 feet away from the peak of the house so you may be able to get by with a shorter chimney.
At least it would alongside the side of the house so you could theoretically access the chimney top for maintenance if needed. Going up a 12/12 roof to get to the chimney top would be pretty scary.

I imagine it is a little frosty in Pitts,burg, NH these days.
My thought is that you could perhaps move the masonry chimney to where the stove is and have them add a separate flue for the wood stove., it would have to be lined with a SS insulated flue so that is a consideration. And I believe you would be more than 10 feet away from the peak of the house so you may be able to get by with a shorter chimney.
At least it would alongside the side of the house so you could theoretically access the chimney top for maintenance if needed. Going up a 12/12 roof to get to the chimney top would be pretty scary.
Thats something I hadn't thought about and may be a good solution. I think you would reach the 10' rule 5' or 6' feet once you pass the soffit. Thanks for the idea!

If you are in the design process, and are failing to see your way through problems you know exist, there is no better way than to get your design into a 3d modeling software and get a look at it in a meaningful way. Spend some time getting up to speed on something like this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.anuman.HomeDesign3D&hl=en
It will be time well spent.
I went through many dozens of designs, all entered into cad software, evaluated for fit and function, and 9/10 were discarded as unusable. If you're having trouble with glitches like you are describing, (and everything you mention I would include with that - placement, bracing, height, piping), then it's time to reevaluate. The photo included may be functional, but I believe not within code. It's a cludge, and the lack of responses here may indicate that. Think about the need of having three sets of french doors in NH. There is a good chance most will go unused. They eat up a lot of wall space for other things. Like stoves. Rearrange things a bit and I bet a stove would fit, with a functional chimney that won't look like an afterthought. But get a look at it first to be sure.

Last edited:
Thats something I hadn't thought about and may be a good solution. I think you would reach the 10' rule 5' or 6' feet once you pass the soffit. Thanks for the idea!
No with a 12 12 pitch you will need to be 12 feet tall to be 2' above anything with in 10'. I would not want that at all

My wife and I had the same questions and problem that you are having . Here is what we came up with. We moved the wood stove over next to the stairs so the stairs would wrap around the stove more or less . I wanted a big 2 flue stone chimney as we will have a wood stove in the basement directly below the upstairs stove. To prevent having a huge scud missile looking pipe sticking out the roof 12 plus ft. , we put a shed dormer over the area where the chimney and stairwell would be , thus cutting down by more than half of the pipe sticking out of the roof. This might not be a solution for you but it worked for us. My goal was a huge stone mass chimney with rock out croppings and ledges for my game animals. The chimney would take up a large amount room but a single pipe straight up might work for you . Just thinking outside the box............

There are different dormer styles to. We went with a combination of styles to solve a similar problem, but they all can be functional.

Attachments

• fhb187db136-01_med.jpg
    fhb187db136-01_med.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 211
You could locate the stove closer to the area below the peak of the roof, just off to one side or the other, and get the clearances needed without a tall stack coming out. Would also make it easier to clean if cleaning from top down. Much easier to work off the peak, than in the middle of the field.

Reactions: Sawset and HomeinPA
Thanks for all the help! I have a 15' shed dormer in the loft above the kitchen and bathroom area. I could put one over the stairwell and move the stove there or put one above the current stove location. Got the wheels turning!

Reactions: Sawset