Question before wood insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

appst8

Dec 10, 2021
Grand Junction Co
Hello hello, I have decided on a kuma wood stove insert to replace a very old and inefficient stove insert in my basement. The install is happening next week however I have some questions on whether or not I am able to proceed with it based on the condition of my fireplace. There is a large portion of the brick hearth sitting under the stove that has either degraded or was maybe cut out to allow the current stove to slide in? I will attach some photos to help paint a picture. Just wondering if this is dangerous/needs repair? Thank you in advance!
PXL_20211211_171533132.jpgPXL_20211229_230616453.jpgPXL_20211211_171556192.MP.jpg

I am really not sure what we are looking at there. Is this a full masonry fireplace or is it a prefab wrapped in masonry?

I'm not so sure to be honest. It looks built in but I am new to this kind of thing. These help at all? There is a fireplace on the second story that has its outlet right next to the other which is a strange setup, basically takes the smoke back into the other fireplace. Seems like a design flaw.
PXL_20211211_172022415.jpgPXL_20211213_162325930.jpg

I'm not so sure to be honest. It looks built in but I am new to this kind of thing. These help at all? There is a fireplace on the second story that has its outlet right next to the other which is a strange setup, basically takes the smoke back into the other fireplace. Seems like a design flaw.
View attachment 288782View attachment 288783
That is definitely a prefab and probably should not have any insert in it

Well crud, that stinks!
Thank you for the help though.
Previous homeowner just told me it's a majestic zero clearance (house built in 1970s) with triple wall stove pipe. I had a down payment on a kuma cascade Le insert with liner which advertises that zero clearance is ok. Should I still stray away?

Previous homeowner just told me it's a majestic zero clearance (house built in 1970s) with triple wall stove pipe. I had a down payment on a kuma cascade Le insert with liner which advertises that zero clearance is ok. Should I still stray away?
Locate the model number and look up the manual for the fireplace. If it says it's ok go for it. If not you can't do it by code. Btw very few prefabs allow inserts.

There is a fireplace on the second story that has its outlet right next to the other which is a strange setup, basically takes the smoke back into the other fireplace. Seems like a design flaw.
Yes, you are correct. The solution is to raise the upper floor chimney up a foot.