Question For Experts About Proper Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

UglyMugly

Sep 16, 2022
Texas
I'm working a project where an elderly woman had a molotov cocktail thrown at her home and it burned up the entire attic and roof. I've installed new trusses, a metal roof, and have insulated with blown insulation. Before the owners husband had passed, he installed an Appalachian wood burning stove with a stove pipe running vertically through the roof. The insurance company adjuster has told the owner that she will need "triple wall pipe" going through the attic space. I'm not expert so I'm hoping that someone could point me toward a legitimate kit to use, or advise how I could meet this requirement.

This is a log cabin home with an attic, no cathedral ceilings.

The stove uses 8" pipe so here is how I think the build will go.
Stove/ 8" double wall pipe going to the ceiling / ceiling support box / Unknown Through Attic / Roof Flashing / Chimney Pipe / Cap.

Please advise where I'm going wrong, or what kind of kit I could use to meet the code being asked for.

I'm working a project where an elderly woman had a molotov cocktail thrown at her home and it burned up the entire attic and roof. I've installed new trusses, a metal roof, and have insulated with blown insulation. Before the owners husband had passed, he installed an Appalachian wood burning stove with a stove pipe running vertically through the roof. The insurance company adjuster has told the owner that she will need "triple wall pipe" going through the attic space. I'm not expert so I'm hoping that someone could point me toward a legitimate kit to use, or advise how I could meet this requirement.

Stove/ 8" double wall pipe going to the ceiling / ceiling support box / Unknown Through Attic / Roof Flashing / Chimney Pipe / Cap.

Please advise where I'm going wrong, or what kind of kit I could use to meet the code being asked for.
You will want insulated double wall class a chimney. Just follow the manufacturers instructions on install and you will be fine. They will have all of the required components available

You will want insulated double wall class a chimney. Just follow the manufacturers instructions on install and you will be fine. They will have all of the required components available
I think he is asking what to do once he breaches into the attic space. And I believe the answer is, stove > stove pipe > ceiling support box > chimney pipe then connect to inside of ceiling support box and then run through the roof with of course the roof flashing over it, topped with a chimney cap w/ spark arrestor. Unless there is some other type of chimney pipe that you use inside the attic until you breach the roof, but I dont think so. It's just chimney pipe once inside the attic from from the support box until the very end of the run.

Reactions: bholler
I think he is asking what to do once he breaches into the attic space. And I believe the answer is, stove > stove pipe > ceiling support box > chimney pipe then connect to inside of ceiling support box and then run through the roof with of course the roof flashing over it, topped with a chimney cap w/ spark arrestor. Unless there is some other type of chimney pipe that you use inside the attic until you breach the roof, but I dont think so. It's just chimney pipe once inside the attic from from the support box until the very end of the run.
Yes you are correct but did miss the attic insulation shield. But names and types of components will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer so I generally just say follow manufacturers instructions

hey Northline Express has a chimney wizard. You plug in your info, and they provide you a list of materials needed. I went with Duravent stove/chimney pipe after reading reviews. I assume you plan on replacing EVERYTHING correct? Not just the chimney pipe, but the stove pipe as well. I dont think you can mix/match different manufacturers so unless you know what was used before and are just replacing the damaged pieces, which it doesnt sound like that's what you are aiming for.

hey Northline Express has a chimney wizard. You plug in your info, and they provide you a list of materials needed. I went with Duravent stove/chimney pipe after reading reviews. I assume you plan on replacing EVERYTHING correct? Not just the chimney pipe, but the stove pipe as well. I dont think you can mix/match different manufacturers so unless you know what was used before and are just replacing the damaged pieces, which it doesnt sound like that's what you are aiming for.
You can mix manufacturers between stove and chimney pipe. But all the chimney pipe needs to be the same. And if the stove pipe is ul listed it needs to be the same

Note that DuraTech is DuraVent's best quality chimney. It is double-wall, as are most other brand chimney pipes. DuraPlus is triple-wall, class A, chimney pipe, but it is their bargain product. I would opt for DuraTech if the budget is there.