Question for the masses...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
When you guys do your final cleanout for the season... (no more heating days ;sick). Do you empty the hopper? or just leave what is left in there? Probably a dumb question, but figure I should ask just incase there is some negative to leaving it partially full).

TIA,
Mal

Unless you have moisture /dampness issues there`s no need to do anything. Moisture or excessive dampness in any home should really be addressed for obvious reasons.
My stove is in the finished basement and as such , I do run a dehumidifier in the summer months when the humidity down there rises..With regards to the stove I leave it as is till I do a full cleaning in early september. The remaining pellets in the hopper stay as stable as when first poured in.

Unless you have moisture /dampness issues there`s no need to do anything. Moisture or excessive dampness in any home should really be addressed for obvious reasons.
My stove is in the finished basement and as such , I do run a dehumidifier in the summer months when the humidity down there rises..With regards to the stove I leave it as is till I do a full cleaning in early september. The remaining pellets in the hopper stay as stable as when first poured in.
seems like the responses here are about 50-50.
some of us want to get it done in the spring and start out with a clean stove in the fall.
others like to wait and let it all sit throught summer wihch appears to not be a stove problem for them.
I for one don't want any surprise rust in the fall so cleaning it in the spring is no harder than doing it come October.

I always start out with a clean stove in the fall, right after I clean it.

My Whitfield stoves were made in 1994 and have been in my area since new, I can't say when and how often the previous owner cleaned it, but the stoves don't have any rust.

Reactions: Tonyray
I clean mine and empty the hopper and auger completely because I burn corn. I believe the ash can produce nitric acid from corn combustion byproducts. Pam spray or something similar after cleaning. And the unburned corn can attract worms/moths, so it has to go. Those worms can get into almost anything.

I clean mine and empty the hopper and auger completely because I burn corn. I believe the ash can produce nitric acid from corn combustion byproducts. Pam spray or something similar after cleaning. And the unburned corn can attract worms/moths, so it has to go. Those worms can get into almost anything.

Yeah, corn and pellets are two different animals. I only add corn during the very cold times but have also mainly stayed with 100% pellets.