Question Mt. Vernon Autoclean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joescho

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2009
Northeastern PA
Need to pick somebody's brain who is smarter than I.... This morning had a weird noise from my Mt. Vernon insert. By the time I got to the stove to check it out, it stopped. Got an error on the thermostat "check ashpan" so I must have got to the stove when it quit.

Anyway, turns out the autoclean had an issue where it was stuck trying to move the floor of the pot. So I unplugged it and it was still a little warm - it must have been trying to start because the ignitor was on but the floor got stuck after the last cycle. So after it cooled, I cleaned it quick, removed the ashpan, and stuck a mirror in where the ashpan goes to see what I could see (if anything is broken). Nothing - only possible issue I saw was the thermocouple wire was out of its home in that little cutout to stick the wires away from the mechanisms . So I fixed that, and I plugged it in, and immediately it wanted to do the autoclean like it always does when you plug it in. Turns out the strange noise was the laboring of the autoclean motor. While the motor was running, the floor was stil stuck so I helped it by trying to push the floor over. Finally the floor kind of stuttered like I freed it, and it started moving on its own. Been working like a champ ever since. Now this stove is probably 7 or 8 years old.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Is something wearing out or do I need to clean the rails some how?? (Pretty cramped in there for an insert). I'm just hoping it was a fluke but I would imagine this is the first of a problem about to happen.

Thanks

Joe

more than likely its carbon build up. nice flat blade screwdriver scrape it clean.. every now and then ramp up the burn to keep that buildup down to a minimum

Reactions: rickwai
more than likely its carbon build up. nice flat blade screwdriver scrape it clean.. every now and then ramp up the burn to keep that buildup down to a minimum
Thanks that's a good idea.

I never got notified of your reply. Thanks for your help.