Question on building a hearth pad for alderlea T6?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Hey guys I 'am fixing to start working on my hearth pad , I plan on using slate tile and cement backer board. How thick should i build my hearth pad, It will be a corner insatllation. should I frame up with studs and layer of plywood then put down my backer board and tile or just screw my backer board to my existing floor. does my corner walls have to be tile for the alderlea T6 any information you could share with me would be of a great help.

Please consider placing steel plates under the feet to spread the load on the tile. With my T5 (much smaller) the concentrated force under the small feet cracked 3 tiles, so I have to re-do the tile job in spring. The bottom of the feet should have been made larger to carry the weight without cracking the tile. They are castings, after all.

All you need is a non-combustible surface as an ember barrier. No need to build up the hearth. Make sure the area of the hearth is flat by laying a straight edge across it. Put down a layer of plywood, shimmed if necessary to take out low areas. Then screw the durock to the plywood and floor underneath following instructions and using cement board screws, then the put down the slate.

Status
Not open for further replies.