Question on connecting stove pipe to thimble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmkasprzak

Hearth Supporter
I'm replacing an old, heavy Fisher Grandpa bear that came with the house I bought 7 years ago. Just got my Englander 13 direct from Overstockstoves.com (can't beat that deal!), thanks to these forums I went with the factory-direct Englander.

The house is 1976 vintage and has a masonry chimney. The thimble that's already there passes through a masonry chimney, and is about 7 1/2" in diameter. Here's my question: What should I do to connect the stovepipe?

The old stove had a pipe stuck into the thimble an inch or so, and covered with a collar. The interior dimension of the collar is exactly 7 inches so the old fisher must have had a 7" stovepipe. The Englander has a 6" pipe - so do I just need a 6" to 7" expander like the one sold on this site: http://www.gascoals.net/chimneycapspipe/blackstovepipe/tabid/413/default.aspx

Or am I looking at having some masonry work done on the existing chimney, or do I need to modify the thimble?

Thanks for helping a noob.

Thanks, BeGreen. That answers the question.

In response to yours, the sweep is coming by on Monday the 25th. We had him due some masonry work a few years ago and the flue was given a clean bill of health by him then. We never used the Fisher much, but there's a good amount of creosote built up in the flue. I'm not going to burn anything until he does his inspection and gives it a cleaning.

Have the sweep report the interior dimensions of the flue tile in the chimney. As long as this is not too large you should be ok. However, if the flue is large, the 13NC is not going to be happy without a 6" stainless liner installed.

Also, do you have a good supply of fully seasoned wood on hand? The new stove is going to want dry wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.