Question on firebox size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

morganp107

Oct 30, 2018
Peru, NY
Hi Folks,

I am working on purchasing a freestanding wood stove through one of the few local dealers in my area. I have narrowed in on an Enerzone solution freestanding stove to put in my existing fireplace. The store has a few models that have been hanging around in the shop and have offered deep discounts. I originally had my eye on the Solution 1.8 which has a 1.8 cu ft firebox. However I learned it sold before I could put in a deposit. They also have a Solution 2.9 for sale which oddly has a 2.5 cu ft fire box.

My question is, will a 2.5 cu ft firebox cook me out of my house? I worry the larger firebox may make the room it's in too hot. I plan to use this primarily as supplemental heat for our natural gas boiler for our main floor living room kitchen/dining and would consider it a bonus to heat the bedrooms upstairs but not completely necessary. The stove will be installed in our existing fireplace on the main floor living room/kitchen/dining room which is about 650 sq ft and has 10 ft catherdral ceilings. I live in upstate NY (1 hr from Montreal) so cold winters, in a 1600 sq ft split level house built in the 1970s with decent insulation for that era.

Any thoughts on firebox size welcomed!

If there an open stairwell in this area then the larger stove could be ok. You control the amount of heat produced by the amount of fuel and air the fire is fed.

always nice to see someone from around here post, i'd go with the bigger firebox, you can always build a smaller fire in a bigger box, but not the opposite, always nicer to have the extra if its needed

always nice to see someone from around here post, i'd go with the bigger firebox, you can always build a smaller fire in a bigger box, but not the opposite, always nicer to have the extra if its needed

Nice to see another Adirondacker on here.

I am wavering in between bigger or smaller, as if I go bigger, I would need to have at least ember protection on my floor beneath the hearth, as I would only have 14 inches in front of the door. If I went bigger, would you have any suggestions on what to use for ember protection that's not too obtrusive?

If ember protection only a basic type 1 hearth pad would work or even a sheet of metal.

bigger is better. You can always build a smaller fire .