Question on stovepipe install regarding maximum distance of a 45 degree angle w/6"single wall durablack pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mcmars

Dec 16, 2021
SW colorado
About 2 weeks ago, I was able to find local help to install a new Drolet Myriad III woodstove I bought last winter. I moved the stove over 5 ft to get it away from blocking an exterior door and to get it towards the center of the north wall on my home. I needed to move it a full 5 ft sideways to clear a post and beam, or I would have just moved it 4 ft and had more vertical pipe coming up from the stove. So the installer was able to make this work by using (2) 45 degree angle duravent durablack angles with 7 ft of pipe angled at 45 degrees between them as I have 10 ft high flat ceiling. We got all the clearance to combustibles good or better than code.

My concern is if 7 ft of stove pipe too long of a distance to run at a 45 degree angle? Basically there is really no straight vertical sections at all, the flu goes from the stovetop adaptor directly into the lower 45 angle section then runs 7 ft at the 45 degree angle and then connects directly into the ceiling pipe adaptor pipe that is attached to the ceiling support box. The top 45 degree angle is about 16" from the ceiling support box metal with a 6 to 8" increaser/reducer section the installer used to connect to my existing 8" double wall Class A chimney. There is 18 ft of vertical 8"class A chimney to the roof cap that goes through a 6 ft high open closet space before going through the roof (6" joisting with R19 insulation).

A bit more detail, I am having the installer come back to replace the old 8" chimney with a new 6" duratech duraplus stainless steel triple wall pipe to be compliant with Drolet recommendations and to update my 35 year old chimney. The guy thought it would work with the 8" existing chimney and he knows the home as he did some of the work on this chimney in the past before I got the home. But we had a big storm come in last week with 30 to 45 MPH North winds and extreme cold to 10 degree F which was a good test. The draft was actually pretty good and I was able to light the stove with just a few hot coals, even with the cold winds gusting hard. But the next few days, I could tell the stove was not "breathing" well and I could hear creosote dripping into the stove pipe. I think the North winds slowed down the draft and cooled the chimney so much that I got a build up of creosote in the cap or chimney. And I woke up the next night at midnight with a smell of creosote in the home and was able to witness a "back-puffing event" the following day which again filled the home with the smell of creosote. I think I got the blockage out by burning a real hot fire for about 10 minutes ( stove top to 600 and the first 45 angle at 750 and about 300+ at the top 45) for a short time and it seems to be running better. But it was scary for me to be getting a reading of 750 degrees at that first elbow with a handheld infrared temp sensor with visons of the metal elbow exploding from excessive heat and pressure. I cannot find a rating on the durablack for heat??? With a normal fire start up, I get the stove top to 400 to 500 degrees and the first/lower elbow is reading about 600 degrees, but just 4 ft up the 7 ft long angled stove pipe, it is already down to about 300 to 400 degrees and at the top elbow where it hits the 6 to 8" increaser, it might read 130 to 180degrees. I know that creosote will start forming in the chimney under about 250 degrees, so that was the no brainer for me to decide to upgrade the Class A pipe to 6" from the old 8" and was the advice I got here earlier this year when I was trying to figure out the new stove install.

The 8" double wall is 10" outside diameter and the new triple wall 6" also has the same 10" diameter, hoping to make this an easy swap without tearing into the roof, replacing the roof jack and cutting new holes and such. The installer likes using the durablack 24 gauge pipe inside the home over double wall as I get more heat inside the home and I agree that is a good thing and I probably should have gotten the next size stove with my 1910 2650 sq ft 2 story old victorian church. It has some improvements to make it more insulated,And I am working on more as well, but is still an old leaky structure. I am concerned about creosote, draft and if the single wall durablack can hold up well to the stove firing up at max temperature, especially that lower 45 section sitting right on top of the stove which gets to 700 to 750 degrees when I fire up the new stove hot to start a big burn on a cold day. I am fine with pulling the stovepipe out a few times a year and doing a bottom cleaning, but I am not wanting to risk having a blocked chimney or cap every big winter storm event.

I know I might be better off with the duravent double wall stove pipe, but I would like to capture a bit more heat in the home if I can do it safely and without creating a problem with cooling my flu gasses and blocking my chimney. But if the consensus here is I need to go that route, then I will install double wall. It is so hard to find help here and to get the parts I need, but I did find a great price on 6 sections of stainless steel duraplus 6" triple wall pipe at a local orange big box store a mere 6 hour round trip drive across a few 11,000 ft mountain passes away, lol. I think I have what I need, support box, new cap, storm collar, but maybe I need to order, or just fabricate, an attic insulation shield to keep the insulation in the 6" joist space away from the pipe. I already removed the insulation that was touching the old 8" chimney pipe, but I think code requires a 24 gauge metal shield in case the insulation moves around. Plus now I have a 2 inch gap between the drywall attic ceiling where the chimney goes into the 6" insulated roof joist space and I am not sure if that needs to be enclosed properly?? Guess I have a few questions than just the 7 ft angle stovepipe. Off to go split and stack wood and will check back tonight, thanks again!

About 2 weeks ago, I was able to find local help to install a new Drolet Myriad III woodstove I bought last winter. I moved the stove over 5 ft to get it away from blocking an exterior door and to get it towards the center of the north wall on my home. I needed to move it a full 5 ft sideways to clear a post and beam, or I would have just moved it 4 ft and had more vertical pipe coming up from the stove. So the installer was able to make this work by using (2) 45 degree angle duravent durablack angles with 7 ft of pipe angled at 45 degrees between them as I have 10 ft high flat ceiling. We got all the clearance to combustibles good or better than code.

My concern is if 7 ft of stove pipe too long of a distance to run at a 45 degree angle? Basically there is really no straight vertical sections at all, the flu goes from the stovetop adaptor directly into the lower 45 angle section then runs 7 ft at the 45 degree angle and then connects directly into the ceiling pipe adaptor pipe that is attached to the ceiling support box. The top 45 degree angle is about 16" from the ceiling support box metal with a 6 to 8" increaser/reducer section the installer used to connect to my existing 8" double wall Class A chimney. There is 18 ft of vertical 8"class A chimney to the roof cap that goes through a 6 ft high open closet space before going through the roof (6" joisting with R19 insulation).

A bit more detail, I am having the installer come back to replace the old 8" chimney with a new 6" duratech duraplus stainless steel triple wall pipe to be compliant with Drolet recommendations and to update my 35 year old chimney. The guy thought it would work with the 8" existing chimney and he knows the home as he did some of the work on this chimney in the past before I got the home. But we had a big storm come in last week with 30 to 45 MPH North winds and extreme cold to 10 degree F which was a good test. The draft was actually pretty good and I was able to light the stove with just a few hot coals, even with the cold winds gusting hard. But the next few days, I could tell the stove was not "breathing" well and I could hear creosote dripping into the stove pipe. I think the North winds slowed down the draft and cooled the chimney so much that I got a build up of creosote in the cap or chimney. And I woke up the next night at midnight with a smell of creosote in the home and was able to witness a "back-puffing event" the following day which again filled the home with the smell of creosote. I think I got the blockage out by burning a real hot fire for about 10 minutes ( stove top to 600 and the first 45 angle at 750 and about 300+ at the top 45) for a short time and it seems to be running better. But it was scary for me to be getting a reading of 750 degrees at that first elbow with a handheld infrared temp sensor with visons of the metal elbow exploding from excessive heat and pressure. I cannot find a rating on the durablack for heat??? With a normal fire start up, I get the stove top to 400 to 500 degrees and the first/lower elbow is reading about 600 degrees, but just 4 ft up the 7 ft long angled stove pipe, it is already down to about 300 to 400 degrees and at the top elbow where it hits the 6 to 8" increaser, it might read 130 to 180degrees. I know that creosote will start forming in the chimney under about 250 degrees, so that was the no brainer for me to decide to upgrade the Class A pipe to 6" from the old 8" and was the advice I got here earlier this year when I was trying to figure out the new stove install.

The 8" double wall is 10" outside diameter and the new triple wall 6" also has the same 10" diameter, hoping to make this an easy swap without tearing into the roof, replacing the roof jack and cutting new holes and such. The installer likes using the durablack 24 gauge pipe inside the home over double wall as I get more heat inside the home and I agree that is a good thing and I probably should have gotten the next size stove with my 1910 2650 sq ft 2 story old victorian church. It has some improvements to make it more insulated,And I am working on more as well, but is still an old leaky structure. I am concerned about creosote, draft and if the single wall durablack can hold up well to the stove firing up at max temperature, especially that lower 45 section sitting right on top of the stove which gets to 700 to 750 degrees when I fire up the new stove hot to start a big burn on a cold day. I am fine with pulling the stovepipe out a few times a year and doing a bottom cleaning, but I am not wanting to risk having a blocked chimney or cap every big winter storm event.

I know I might be better off with the duravent double wall stove pipe, but I would like to capture a bit more heat in the home if I can do it safely and without creating a problem with cooling my flu gasses and blocking my chimney. But if the consensus here is I need to go that route, then I will install double wall. It is so hard to find help here and to get the parts I need, but I did find a great price on 6 sections of stainless steel duraplus 6" triple wall pipe at a local orange big box store a mere 6 hour round trip drive across a few 11,000 ft mountain passes away, lol. I think I have what I need, support box, new cap, storm collar, but maybe I need to order, or just fabricate, an attic insulation shield to keep the insulation in the 6" joist space away from the pipe. I already removed the insulation that was touching the old 8" chimney pipe, but I think code requires a 24 gauge metal shield in case the insulation moves around. Plus now I have a 2 inch gap between the drywall attic ceiling where the chimney goes into the 6" insulated roof joist space and I am not sure if that needs to be enclosed properly?? Guess I have a few questions than just the 7 ft angle stovepipe. Off to go split and stack wood and will check back tonight, thanks again!
It sounds like you might have enough height to overcome the long angled section of pipe. But I would absolutely recommend double wall connector pipe and double wall insulated chimney to reduce heat loss from the exhaust. Btw when you replace the chimney every part of the system including support box and brackets and the flashing should be replaced as well

That is good to hear you think I have enough height to make the long angled section work for stove pipe. I have a new support box, just came in tonight from amazon and it looks good, and a new cap. But figured the old bracket and roof flashing/roof jack would be good to go. I think I can get those parts locally if we need to change them out?? My installer was up there a few weeks ago and he does not think we need new ones, but will ask about it and make sure no damage or rust.

I can change out the single wall stove pipe to double wall myself later and I suspect that will probably happen as that will be easy for me to do on my own without hiring help and working around winter conditions and steep roof pitch. But for now I will try the single wall I have and just bought as per the installers recommendation and see how it goes. If the chimney gets enough heat to keep the flue gases from depositing creosote or the heat at that first elbow does not get excessive hot enough to scare me, then maybe I can keep the single wall and gain the extra heat in my home. I am hoping smaller volume of the new 6" chimney will speed up the movement compared to the 8" pipe and keep the chimney working well. I can see the shoulder seasons might be problematic when not firing up the stove real hot, but hoping the single wall might work OK during the winter season. Any idea how hot that 24 gauge durablack pipe can get before exceeding a safe temperature as measured with a infrared temp gun? I have been aiming it at the top side of the lower/first 45 degree angle that is sitting on top of the stove where it reads the highest.

And do I need all the attic parts that protect the chimney from insulation contact? I was just looking at the duravent duraplus installation guide that came with the support box and has all the details of how they want their stove pipe and chimney installed on different applications. Looks like they are wanting firestop radiation SDP-IS, attic insulation shield SDP-IS with the storm collar. I can make sure the insulation is clear by minimum 2" and just leave a big gap. When I first moved in, I filled a huge garbage bag of burnt looking insulation that was smashed into the support box, cut away carpet and foam carpet pad that was coving the box and touching the chimney and also removed insulation that was tightly packed against the chimney after cutting away drywall that was in contact with the chimney. And threw away all the wool/poly sweaters and hand knitted blanket that had fallen down from a nearby shelf and were touching the chimney right on top of the support box Amazing the place did not burn down, but this is making me question if I need all those attic insulation shields if the 35 year old 8" double wall pipe was able to stay cool enough to not ignite already.. I can't imagine a squirrel or rodent wanting to be in a cold roof when they have a huge warm crawl space under the home, I know they can rearrange insulation, but maybe there is another reason I am not understanding for all these parts? Maybe it is all about meeting the code? But there are no codes where I am, so I doubt it would impact my insurance if I document the installation to show proper installation and clearances.

I bought the 6 sections of triple wall duraplus chimney already and now sure where I could find the double wall and likely it would be 3X the price I just paid for the SS triple wall Class A pipe. It would add tremendous cost and labor to install a larger double wall pipe. The specs look the exact same regarding testing and clearances to combustibles. They claim the stainless triple wall does have insulation and is designed to be cool on the outside and maintain a warm chimney. What am I missing??

This is the description of the duraplus pipe I have:
"DuraPlus Chimney is a triple-wall, all-fuel chimney for use with wood stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, boilers, stoves, ranges, water heaters, or other appliances fueled by wood, oil, coal, or gas.

DuraPlus is designed to stay cool on the outside, provide a hot draft on the inside, boost stove efficiency, and provide a fire-safe design that protects both the chimney and the building. This triple-wall chimney features two insulating layers (ceramic blanket, plus air space). The ceramic blanket insulation is held securely in position, eliminating hot spots common with loose-fill type insulations. In the event of a creosote fire, the compressible blanket insulation permits the chimney liner to expand outwardly in a radial direction. Designed for normal, continuous operation at 1000° F flue gas temperatures, DuraPlus is subjected to rigorous and stringent HT requirements of the UL standard, including one hour at 1400° F, plus three ten-minute chimney fire tests at 2100° F."

That is good to hear you think I have enough height to make the long angled section work for stove pipe. I have a new support box, just came in tonight from amazon and it looks good, and a new cap. But figured the old bracket and roof flashing/roof jack would be good to go. I think I can get those parts locally if we need to change them out?? My installer was up there a few weeks ago and he does not think we need new ones, but will ask about it and make sure no damage or rust.

I can change out the single wall stove pipe to double wall myself later and I suspect that will probably happen as that will be easy for me to do on my own without hiring help and working around winter conditions and steep roof pitch. But for now I will try the single wall I have and just bought as per the installers recommendation and see how it goes. If the chimney gets enough heat to keep the flue gases from depositing creosote or the heat at that first elbow does not get excessive hot enough to scare me, then maybe I can keep the single wall and gain the extra heat in my home. I am hoping smaller volume of the new 6" chimney will speed up the movement compared to the 8" pipe and keep the chimney working well. I can see the shoulder seasons might be problematic when not firing up the stove real hot, but hoping the single wall might work OK during the winter season. Any idea how hot that 24 gauge durablack pipe can get before exceeding a safe temperature as measured with a infrared temp gun? I have been aiming it at the top side of the lower/first 45 degree angle that is sitting on top of the stove where it reads the highest.

And do I need all the attic parts that protect the chimney from insulation contact? I was just looking at the duravent duraplus installation guide that came with the support box and has all the details of how they want their stove pipe and chimney installed on different applications. Looks like they are wanting firestop radiation SDP-IS, attic insulation shield SDP-IS with the storm collar. I can make sure the insulation is clear by minimum 2" and just leave a big gap. When I first moved in, I filled a huge garbage bag of burnt looking insulation that was smashed into the support box, cut away carpet and foam carpet pad that was coving the box and touching the chimney and also removed insulation that was tightly packed against the chimney after cutting away drywall that was in contact with the chimney. And threw away all the wool/poly sweaters and hand knitted blanket that had fallen down from a nearby shelf and were touching the chimney right on top of the support box Amazing the place did not burn down, but this is making me question if I need all those attic insulation shields if the 35 year old 8" double wall pipe was able to stay cool enough to not ignite already.. I can't imagine a squirrel or rodent wanting to be in a cold roof when they have a huge warm crawl space under the home, I know they can rearrange insulation, but maybe there is another reason I am not understanding for all these parts? Maybe it is all about meeting the code? But there are no codes where I am, so I doubt it would impact my insurance if I document the installation to show proper installation and clearances.

I bought the 6 sections of triple wall duraplus chimney already and now sure where I could find the double wall and likely it would be 3X the price I just paid for the SS triple wall Class A pipe. It would add tremendous cost and labor to install a larger double wall pipe. The specs look the exact same regarding testing and clearances to combustibles. They claim the stainless triple wall does have insulation and is designed to be cool on the outside and maintain a warm chimney. What am I missing??

This is the description of the duraplus pipe I have:
"DuraPlus Chimney is a triple-wall, all-fuel chimney for use with wood stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, boilers, stoves, ranges, water heaters, or other appliances fueled by wood, oil, coal, or gas.

DuraPlus is designed to stay cool on the outside, provide a hot draft on the inside, boost stove efficiency, and provide a fire-safe design that protects both the chimney and the building. This triple-wall chimney features two insulating layers (ceramic blanket, plus air space). The ceramic blanket insulation is held securely in position, eliminating hot spots common with loose-fill type insulations. In the event of a creosote fire, the compressible blanket insulation permits the chimney liner to expand outwardly in a radial direction. Designed for normal, continuous operation at 1000° F flue gas temperatures, DuraPlus is subjected to rigorous and stringent HT requirements of the UL standard, including one hour at 1400° F, plus three ten-minute chimney fire tests at 2100° F."
Duraplus is perfectly safe I never said it wasn't. But it has half the insulation of the better double wall pipe and an air channel designed to cool the chimney. That means far lower internal temps.

And the double wall stuff is smaller, not larger

Duraplus is perfectly safe I never said it wasn't. But it has half the insulation of the better double wall pipe and an air channel designed to cool the chimney. That means far lower internal temps.

And the double wall stuff is smaller, not larger
Thank you! I wish they would explain the double wall keeps the inside chimney warmer, they make it sound like they are both the same. I would have tried harder to find the double wall if I understood it better. But I already bought the triple wall and I am betting it will work way better than the 35+ year old double wall 8" I have now that likely got overfired with the monster old huge BTU stove and is oversized for my new stove. If it is still running cool at the support box, I will spring for the duravent DVL double wall stove pipe. I appreciate all the great help you give everyone to help keep us all safe!

Next stove related project will be installing a passive floor vent to upstairs hallway and installing some return cold air vents with some small fans to cox the warm air to go into the upper level with 3 bedrooms and bath to get some convective air movement in the home. Another day and another post!

Reactions: bholler