Question on thermostat wiring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MNBobcat

Hearth Supporter
Sep 6, 2009
Minnesota
Hi Guys,

I have an outdoor wood boiler and I've set up my plumbing in a primary/secondary configuration with zone pumps for my secondary circuit. I have a TACO switching relay for 3 zones. The secondary circuit sends hot water to a HX in my propane gas furnace.

Normally with an OWB the recommended way of wiring the thermostat is to add a second thermostat and run a jumper between the two thermostats. The second thermostat would tie into the wire that serves as the FAN ON circuit, basically just turning on the FAN when heat is called for.

I would like to run a jumper from where the FAN ON wire is connected at the furnace location over to the TACO switching relay so that when the thermostat turns the FAN ON that the Taco relay would activate the zone pump. However, I do not want the zone pump to turn on when the primary thermostat kicks on the furnace with the LP gas burner activating as well.

So for this to work, I need to know (at the furnace) when only the fan is being asked to run or when the fan and burner are being asked to run. Does that happen over 2 separate wires?

In other words, here is my question. When you have a single thermostat wired as normal, is there a wire that runs from the thermostat to the fan connection on the furnace that carries the signal when the thermostat is in the FAN ON position, and is there a second wire that runs from the thermostat to the fan connection on the furnace that carries the signal when the thermostat is in the AUTO setting (which kicks on the FAN AND BURNER)? If there are 2 separate leads running to the FAN ON connection on the furnace, then I should not have to pull a new thermostat wire down to the furnace room. If, however, there is only 1 wire from the thermostat to the FAN ON position on the furnace, and if the thermostat activates the FAN ON on one wire and the BURNER ON on a second wire, then I believe I'll have to pull a new wire for the new thermostat as I'll have no way of knowing under which circumstance the FAN is being activated by itself.

Never mind. I pulled the existing thermostat off and found that there are 2 unused wires. I should be able to use one of them for the second thermostat as the FAN ON lead which would also run to the pump relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.