question on wood stove placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

katmx64

Oct 9, 2009
north ky / cincinnati oh
i'm putting a wood burning stove in an all metal building with a concrete floor . i have read where masonary products absorb heat. would i have better heat retention by putting a buffer between the concrete floor and the stove/legs? will the floor absorb a lot of the heat if setting directly on the concrete? legs are approx 4 in and is free standing older all nighter stove. any help is appreciated. thanks>

Most modern stoves you can put your hand on the bottom of the stoves and legs...so at the bottom they're only warm to the touch. Folks that advise against cellar stoves are talking about the stone walls not the floor. You may have a local code that demands a hearth...I dunno.

Agree with savageactor7.

I've burned my pre epa Fisher for 30 years.

The Fisher sits upon a raised brick hearth upon a slab foundation.

At the beginning of the season I slide a small sheet of tin under the 5" legs in order to dry 1/2 - 3/4" kindling.

About a month later the kindling is removed & stored for future fires.

But sometimes the kindling is still green & must be dried some more.

As you can see, not much heat goes out the bottom of the stove.

No matter how you hack it, heat still rises. Still, a concrete floor will still rob some heat.

Some stoves have more insulation under them than others so they do vary on radiated heat and hearth requirements. A concrete slab shouldn't give you any issues, but it's the building inspector that would have the final say. And it may not be the hearth he might have trouble with. If the metal building is used as a garage it would be the solid fuel heater in the garage...

Best advice is to find out what the building inspector wants to see.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.