Question regarding M55 burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spencerdecoys

Feb 22, 2015
Maryland
I installed my insert Enviro M55 on Sunday, all went well with that.
I borrowed a digital Magnahelic gauge from work yesterday to dial it in. Let it run on 5 for 1/2 hr or so before testing. I ended up with a reading that fluctuated between 13-18, I assume that's because I can't get a true seal on it.
Well any way, I'm not getting the flame that I have seen in the YouTube video, I'm thinking I need to adjust the auger cover plate? And I also have a flame that is coming out the underside of the fire box, is this normal ?
Thanks for any input

Spencer,
If you look through past threads on the M55, this is a common topic. You aren't the only one. I have an M55 FS, and it is an awesome machine. The flames on YouTube seem to be on the high side of things, but I can almost get there by adjusting the auger plate to the second hole, and using really good pellets. I use LaCretes and North Country. The auger cover was the temporary fix that Enviro came up with to limit BTU output before they introduced a stronger convection blower. Since your unit is new, I suspect you have the stronger convection blower. My magnehelic reading was adjusted by the dealer. Flame coming out the underside is normal. Usually it comes out from there with a clean burn pot, and as the burn pot fills up with ash, the opening closes up, thereby lessening the flame from the underside.

I am going to try to upload something I got from another thread regarding the auger cover. Hopefully it works.

John

Attachments

• M55slidecover.png
    M55slidecover.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 162
The m55 runs better with a more balanced fire after you let it get pretty dirty. Flame always pulls left until it about a month old. Burn it for a week and then test it for draft. I stopped trying to dial them in 100% to the gauge at install as they really don't burn very well a month later when they are running at .15WC. Glass gets filthy in the right top corner. I've found its more ideal at .18-.2 WC and a lot of times I cannot even dial it lower than .18WC. Actually kinda retarded that Enviro seeks to have owners actually set the machines up like this anyway. Creates a lot of confusion for a benefit that's negligible, but everyone certainly complains when the glass is all smoked when yer balancing on the edge of in or out of water column

Status
Not open for further replies.