Question(s) about fireplace remodel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenn_D

Dec 9, 2014
South Cal
Hi, all - first post here and hoping that this is the right place for questions of this sort!

I have a wood-burning fireplace with a gas line. I have started a remodel and removed all the old mortar and stone, and now I have a white brick chimney and firebox and wall studs. The old masonry was attached to the studs with remesh and to the chimney with mortar and wire. I would like to put cut stone on there now.

Here's my question: The cut stone that I'd like to use is natural stone in prefabricated panels (MS International sold at Home Depot). Can I just apply the mortar directly to the chimney, or do I need to cover with lath and then scratch coat first? Can I screw the lath directly into the chimney? Or should I use Durock cement board? Since the chimney is almost flush with the wall studs and it's so uneven, I think that I might have to use metal furring.

Obviously, I'm new to masonry. I've done some drywalling, so am hoping that I can tackle this! Thanks in advance for any guidance and patience!

Status
Not open for further replies.