Questions about a O'keefe and Merritt No.80 gas heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billybl

Nov 18, 2014
kingman, Az. USA.
Hello!

For years my grandparents had this O'keefe and Merritt Gas Heater in their Livingroom, as their only heat source in that room. It was originally fueled with Nat gas, then years later after they lost Nat gas source, they switched over to propane. I remember them converting the stove over but not the heater, and I don't what you would change on it to convert it. Anyway I took it out of storage to use in my workshop, using my propane tank and hose with regulator, it burns with a mostly yellow flame... is there any way to adjust that?.
But, For all I know maybe it's only supposed to use Nat gas?

The name plate on it only says: "O'keefe and Merritt No.80" Theres nothing like a pilot light, you just use a match when you use it.

Also, even though there is a vent outlet on the back, It's always been capped off, it was never vented at their house.. that don't seem right either, but I spent many a cold night at their house as a child and I'm still alive.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

heater_001a.jpg
heater_002a.jpg
heater_003a.jpg

i wouldn't recommend using a gas heater w/o a vent. especially one of that age.

no, it cant burn lpg fuel properly- it will greatly overfire and is probably a serious safety issue. please only use gas appliances in the way and with the type of fuel they were designed for.

More questions...

This is how it was burning:

This is after sliding the air shutter open.

This is the valve and orifice

and a crappy close up:

So does anyone think that they make a LPG orifice that will fit the valve? Where would a person go to find something like that?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.