Questions about a used Greenfire wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mpilihp

Feeling the Heat
Apr 22, 2008
Coastal ME
So I have the opportunity to purchase a used 130 BTU Greenfire WB that was built in Fort Kent Maine and purchased directly from the manufacturer. It is about 6-7 years old now. My questions are:

What would be a good price to pay for this wood boiler? It would come with some other things I dont need such as a boilermate type DHW heater.

Its firebox will hold a 24 inch stick but he is saying for it to run well he has found you have to put the wood in sideways and it will only take a 20 in stick sideways. Has anyone with a Greenfire have any experience with this? Is this needed to do or is something being done wrong?

What is the min size flue for this make wood boiler, I have a small one, 6 in I think.

Also, he said it weighs 2800 lbs, he can load it on a trailer but I dont have anything that can pick that up. Im looking for ideas on what can be rented that can pick something that heavy up off of a trailer. I have a daylight basement so just need to get off the trailer and over to the door, then I can roll it on pipes I think.

Thanks!

~ Phil

Someone else might comment differently, but I would avoid it. Most of that weight is refractory that is going to be cracked or is going to crack when moved.
You should look over some of the issues with these units having plugged heat exchangers and corroded skins.
These are very similar to Seton and Greenwood boilers.

Reactions: flyingcow
Hi he is asking $4500, they are friends, who are moving and to make the house more sell-able, they are removing the wood boiler and putting a standard petroleum unit in.

I will ask to see how it is cleaned first, thanks.

~ Phil

If this is the Same as the Seton the new price is $8500 for this size...and he's been known to discount up to 25% when he could use some ready cash

Just my opinion, but from all the reading I did when I was researching my boiler swap - I don't think I would take a 6-7 year old Greenwood/Seton style boiler if it was free. $4500 is most of the cost of some decent new boilers on the market - I think. Been a while since I've looked at new boiler prices.

Reactions: flyingcow
in my opinion that is way too much money. For that unit. last summer I bought a used tarm 200,000 BTU unit. 7 or 8 years old. For $1700.and trust me moving one of those is not for the faint of heart.

H
If this is the Same as the Seton the new price is $8500 for this size...and he's been known to discount up to 25% when he could use some ready cash
Hi thanks so is there a website for Setons? I'd like to research them first. Also I do not have money or ability to have storage so looking for a boiler that can run without it. IE easy to clean and doesn't generate a lot of creosote. Thanks

Just my opinion, but from all the reading I did when I was researching my boiler swap - I don't think I would take a 6-7 year old Greenwood/Seton style boiler if it was free. $4500 is most of the cost of some decent new boilers on the market - I think. Been a while since I've looked at new boiler prices.
Hi I wouldn't pay 4500, that's what he's asking. It also comes with dhw tank which I don't need so would need to negociate. I guess I've been looking at the wrong boilers as the new ones I've seen advertised are in the 7-9k range. I'll prob pass on this mainly because I've got to much on my plate now and doesn't sound like a good option. Thanks.

For that price I think you could buy a new EKO. Tried a true, no frills proven Gasser. Many users of the EKO on this site.
Thanks for your input, I'll look at Eko again but if I recall they really need storage from my reading and I can not do storage both space and money .

H

Hi thanks so is there a website for Setons? I'd like to research them first. Also I do not have money or ability to have storage so looking for a boiler that can run without it. IE easy to clean and doesn't generate a lot of creosote. Thanks

The seton website is rohor.com

in my opinion that is way too much money. For that unit. last summer I bought a used tarm 200,000 BTU unit. 7 or 8 years old. For $1700.and trust me moving one of those is not for the faint of heart.
Any place where good used unit are offered for sale?...or is this a Craigs List/Ebay sort of search?
Regards, Scotty2

Status
Not open for further replies.