Questions about bends and elbos on a new build class a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattwin7

Mar 20, 2014
East of Kansas City MO
Ok so this is what I have

Wood burning stove with vent coming horizontal out of the back

Coming out of a walkout basement (concrete floors and wall) and going up 28 ft to give me my 2ft about roofline at 10ft away

Questions

1) How many bends can you have in a 28ft run without effecting efficiency?

A) my stove vents from the back so do I put a 90elbo on it to a 3or4ft stove pipe then another 90elbo out the wall?

I would prefer to do this for several reasons including

1A)first few feet of stove pipe puts out a lot of heat.

1B)my exterior clean out be higher outside and therefore out of the way and easier to clean out.

B) or do I run it straight out the wall and straight up?

2)through the soffit or around it?

3) my stove has a 8in vent, does it have to be 8ID chimney pipe?

Sorry if this is confusing, I tried to break it up and make it easy to understand. PLEASE HELP these $400 a month heating bills are going to break us. Thanks

There are too many 90 deg. turns for my liking. Does the stove have a reversible flue collar?

Last edited:
It depends on the setup and draft, but figure each 90 deg turn equivalently reducing the chimney height by at least 3 ft. 3 - 90s is a 9-10' reduction. Add to this that basements are often a negative pressure zone and it could be a setup for smoke spillage, balky starts and draft reversal. A lot will depend on the stove and what else is competing for the air supply. What stove make and model is this?

PS: Welcome to Hearth.com.

You want to start with 3' or so of stove pipe before you 90 back to the chimney. For a few reasons: Increased draft is the main one. It also doesn't limit you in the future on height, so you won't be stuck with this stove forever. Once it hits the wall it must transistion to Class A chimney pipe. From there up, it should stay straight, most chimney systems don't allow elbows unless its in a chase. I don't necessarily agree with this if the elbows are near to each other and properly supported. But, the straighter the better!

Status
Not open for further replies.