Questions about burning walnut shells in boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Patti

Mar 4, 2013
Hi! I have a few hundred pounds of walnuts & walnut shells that I have dried. Some had the green husk removed and others had it left on. Can walnuts that have been dried with the husk on be used in boilers? OR should the husk always be removed and the walnuts rinsed? I know they are VERY acidic if they’re not rinsed (they say to put the rinse water anywhere that you don’t want plants or weeds to grow!) so, my concern is if the acidity would affect the boiler in any way? (Not burning tons of them- just a few handfuls a day). In my old Benjamin I would throw a few handfuls in every day, but I am looking for a new boiler- probably a gasifier- and want to know about burning walnuts in them.( One type of boiler I am considering isn’t a ‘ true gasifier’ (no downward draft- just natural draft) and it is listed as a Biomass boiler, so I assume walnuts would be okay in that one. But what about regular gasifiers? Thoughts? Does anyone have experience with burning walnuts that can give me some input!’I can soak & rinse the ones that had husks on and dried out...I’d just rather not do all that work if I can avoid it, but I will if necessary.! Thanks! Patti

I'm interested to see some good answers here. Personally I have no idea if your boiler would like wallnut shells. Do you still have the manual for your boiler? If so I would look up acceptable fuels listed in the manual. If the manufacturer is still in business a phone call to them might shed some light on it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

That's an unusual enough type of fuel I'd email the manufacturer, that way you have a record to refer back to. I doubt they'll be listed in any of their literature/ manuals.

That's an unusual enough type of fuel I'd email the manufacturer, that way you have a record to refer back to. I doubt they'll be listed in any of their literature/ manuals.
Good idea! Yes, when I decide on a boiler I'll ask the manufacturer before purchasing. Just thought users on here that were burning biomass might be familiar with the walnut shells. They definitely burn long and hot... like little mini walnut logs! lol