Questions about my liner install - what to do at bottom?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Aug 14, 2019
Central OH
I have an 18' masonry flue with clay liners. I am installing a 5.5" flexible stainless liner from Chimney Liner Depot. The flue is an old oil furnace flue and is kind of weird. The bottom has 2 openings - one had a plug and the other is where the pipe came through to the furnace. I have opened it up a bit to insert the stainless clean out tee. I have 3 bags of National Chimney pourable liner insulation mix for insulation.

I will try to attach a couple pics of it in place (the piece of wood is just to hold it for pic!).

Here's my question: should I screw the tee cover in place, fab block off plates for both openings, and fill this whole space with insulation? (would disconnect stove pipe for clean out), or:

Should I block it off right above the tee and leave these openings for clean out access?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Wally

IMG_6890.JPGIMG_6891.JPGIMG_6893.JPG

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Personally I would add a second tee and have a clean out. But just capping that tee is acceptable. Close off all the holes with brick and mortar. I use chamber tech around the snout because it allows for movement. Then insulate.

Do you have the required 1" of space all around the liner for the pour in insulation?

Personally I would add a second tee and have a clean out. But just capping that tee is acceptable. Close off all the holes with brick and mortar. I use chamber tech around the snout because it allows for movement. Then insulate.

Do you have the required 1" of space all around the liner for the pour in insulation?
Uh-oh - am I supposed to have 1" all around from top to bottom? Because I sure don't. I do, however around the tee...

Uh-oh - am I supposed to have 1" all around from top to bottom? Because I sure don't. I do, however around the tee...
Yes you need 1" of insulation

Yes you need 1" of insulation
Is that to protect from a fire inside the liner burning through cracks in the clay liner and reaching combustibles? Or does it need that much to effectively insylate and provide the benefits that insulation provides?

Oh, and thank you tons for replying - sorry I didn't say that as the first thing.

Is that to protect from a fire inside the liner burning through cracks in the clay liner and reaching combustibles? Or does it need that much to effectively insylate and provide the benefits that insulation provides?

Oh, and thank you tons for replying - sorry I didn't say that as the first thing.
It is to protect from heat transfer through the masonry putting adjacent combustibles at risk. Does your masonry chimney have the required clearances to combustibles?

It is to protect from heat transfer through the masonry putting adjacent combustibles at risk. Does your masonry chimney have the required clearances to combustibles?
I honestly do not know. I was built in 1959, so I'm not terribly confident. I wish I'd paid more attention when the house was gutted. I know the inspector made the framers apply some foam to prevent airflow in case of a fire - but I can't swear that means he verified distances to combustibles.
The chimney has 3 flues: 2 for fireplaces and one for an old oil furnace. This flue was for the oil furnace.

I honestly do not know. I was built in 1959, so I'm not terribly confident. I wish I'd paid more attention when the house was gutted. I know the inspector made the framers apply some foam to prevent airflow in case of a fire - but I can't swear that means he verified distances to combustibles.
The chimney has 3 flues: 2 for fireplaces and one for an old oil furnace. This flue was for the oil furnace.
If they installed foam that means even if you had clearance you don't anymore. And also means the old clay liners need to be removed to allow for proper insulation to meet code and be safe