Questions about Renaissance Rumford fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpavinawFireGuy

Dec 1, 2015
Lowell
Hello. I am looking into the Renaissance Rumford fireplace by ICC. Does anyone know what the burn times are on them. I know it's an open fireplace and they usually eat the wood, but it's suppose to be efficient with the glass closed. Well I don't understand what they are getting at by "efficient". Long burn times or less pollutants?

Not really efficient compared to an EPA fireplace. Closing the glass doors after the fire has burned down will help reduce the air and heat being sucked up the chimney as the fireplace cools down. IIRC they are quite pricey. If the goal is heat and efficiency you can get a good quality EPA ZC fireplace for much less.

It looks like it might be a little tricky stacking the wood in there.

Not really efficient compared to an EPA fireplace. Closing the glass doors after the fire has burned down will help reduce the air and heat being sucked up the chimney as the fireplace cools down. IIRC they are quite pricey. If the goal is heat and efficiency you can get a good quality EPA ZC fireplace for much less.

I'm really not looking for much heat. I really just want a beautiful fireplace that is big. I like the L50 but it's not out yet. They say that it's the most efficient "open" fireplace. I just don't want to constantly feed it wood and the last this I want is a masonry fireplace.

The Renaissance Rumford fireplaces are not masonry fireplaces. Just the facade is if one chooses it to be. The rest is a prefab metal box. But it should do the job based on those criteria. You might also want to look at the Quadrafire 7100.
Saw this unit at HPBA, it's huge and fairly efficient.
http://www.valcourtinc.com/en/heaters/fp7-antoinette

Last edited:
I was just going to ask about the Rennaissance Rumford for heating! Our family property has about 2 acres of white pine and 1 acre of hardwood trees. We are constantly clearing downed trees, and wanted to use the wood for heating. We have a 1960s colonial with the usual inefficient fireplace with an outside two story chimney. We are planning a major renovation, and although we hate to take down a masonry fireplace It blocks a view and has a stacking effect. It doesn't makes sense to convert it to a rumford. However, in the middle of the house we have room to install a prefab fireplace and flue both in a parlor room that is near the center stairs and a second one that would face a large family room. The fireplaces could be back to back, interior chimny. We have 8 foot ceilings. My husband really doesn't want a woodstove, and the fireplaces would be the centerpieces of the house----- So how do we get something that looks good, and would offset our energy costs with all our free seasoned wood ? The rennaisance rumfords are beautiful. I was hoping one could throw heat to the back of the house and the other to the front or up the stairs when we open the door to the stairwell. Very happy to post plans and drawings. House is 1250 square feet on each level but will be 2000 on first level in the future ( and 1500 on second.) We would really love to burn that wood and not kick off asthma attacks in any kids, and my husband does not want a woodstove. Actually, as I'm writing this I'm realizing that a glass door woodstove like a jotul would really be the best answer if we are looking for both beauty and heat. Any thoughts? I need to justify the floor space of a woodstove to my husband.....

Last edited:
I was just going to ask about the Rennaissance Rumford for heating! Our family property has about 2 acres of white pine and 1 acre of hardwood trees. We are constantly clearing downed trees, and wanted to use the wood for heating. We have a 1960s colonial with the usual inefficient fireplace with an outside two story chimney. We are planning a major renovation, and although we hate to take down a masonry fireplace It blocks a view and has a stacking effect. It doesn't makes sense to convert it to a rumford. However, in the middle of the house we have room to install a prefab fireplace and flue both in a parlor room that is near the center stairs and a second one that would face a large family room. The fireplaces could be back to back, interior chimny. We have 8 foot ceilings. My husband really doesn't want a woodstove, and the fireplaces would be the centerpieces of the house----- So how do we get something that looks good, and would offset our energy costs with all our free seasoned wood ? The rennaisance rumfords are beautiful. I was hoping one could throw heat to the back of the house and the other to the front or up the stairs when we open the door to the stairwell. Very happy to post plans and drawings. House is 1250 square feet on each level but will be 2000 on first level in the future ( and 1500 on second.) We would really love to burn that wood and not kick off asthma attacks in any kids, and my husband does not want a woodstove.
If you want heat you want a wood stove or an epa rates zc fireplace. As far as fireplaces go the rennesance rumford is a good one but it is not a stove and will not heat like one.

Reactions: sgc
Status
Not open for further replies.