Questions about stove flues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodyIsGoody

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2017
Pacific NW Washington
I'm getting a bid on the purchase and install of a Blaze King Chinook 30 to replace my 1988 Seefire (early EPA approved tube stove). Currently there is 13 feet of 6" vertical single wall exiting the top of the stove before it switches to insulated SS through the ceiling. That's about 8 feet of insulated so 21 feet vertical total.

I'm wondering if it's feasible to have about 4-5 feet of single wall pipe exiting the stove before switching to double wall. When my cabin hasn't been heated for a week it can be pretty cold when I arrive. Some of the best early heat comes from that lower section of single walled flue and I would hate to give that up considering I shouldn't have draft issues with all that vertical and mostly insulated pipe. Has anyone seen a photo of a single-double wall adapter?

Also, are there any flue products that will make it easier for me to remove the section of pipe exiting the stovetop to assist with flue and stove maintenance?

The guy from the stove shop is coming this afternoon and I'll be asking him these questions but wanted other opinions.

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:
I will go with one or the other but not mix them. There is some people for sure using single wall with success but BK recommend better double wall, so many other companies i believe. Maybe i am wrong. Either way there are telescoping stovepipe for single wall and double wall. I have the double wall but i remember i was ask for the place that i bought it if i want it in single or double wall. that can make it easier for sure

Heat the house with the stove not the chimney, plus Bk's run lower on the flue temp side of things, so you'll want your flue gasses as hot as possible

Reactions: Babaganoosh
Im no pro but if your trying to save some money then try it, you have nothing to loose its there already. Worst case scenario you buy double wall.

Thanks for all the feedback. The guy from the stove dealership who is bidding the job didn't seem to think there was telescoping double wall. I'll see what he comes up with. He also didn't think there was a problem running single wall the 13 feet all the way to the ceiling if I wanted.

Now I'm leaning towards double wall all the way due to aesthetics and performance (although I don't think the performance hit of 4' of single wall would be very significant). I'm not convinced it will look "right" to have 4' of single wall with 9' of double wall above it.

6' of single wall telescoping on my stove. Works great for cleaning. Don't plan on getting significant heat from the single wall. Buy the fan kit for the stove. Good to go.

Heat the house with the stove not the chimney, plus Bk's run lower on the flue temp side of things, so you'll want your flue gasses as hot as possible
I know that you are right, but I really hate how much heat goes out the chimney. I have a tube stove insert with an insulated liner on an outside chimney, so there is nothing I can do about it, but in my next life, I want to figure out a solution to this. I guess a masonry heater is currently the best solution, but cat stoves with their long burns are a step in the right direction. Every time I go outside and see the heat waves coming out of the chimney, I think, hey, I could use that heat inside!

Nonsense. Tell him to go back selling hot tubs.
Go get 'em begreen! I'm with you, tired of uninformed hucksters giving dead wrong advice/information. Came across lots of it when I was contemplating my install, but I guess the fact that none of the installers/sellers inspired an ounce of confidence was good, because it drove me to look into things myself. This forum was the antidote.

really hate how much heat goes out the chimney
I foresee in my crystal ball ... new stoves will have higher efficiencies, lowering heat that goes up the pipe, honestly the BK's do a real good job in that regard, there cat placement and stove jacket make excellent heat extraction when used correctly.

6' of single wall telescoping on my stove. Works great for cleaning. Don't plan on getting significant heat from the single wall. Buy the fan kit for the stove. Good to go.

I get a TON of early radiant heat from the current single wall setup right after I do a cold start. This is when my stove is still cool enough to put my palm on the stove body. I don't know why the Chinook 30 would be any different with the bypass open. Of course a telescoping single wall will put out less due to the overlapping sections.

Nonsense. Tell him to go back selling hot tubs.

The best way to do that would be to buy the stove somewhere else. But distance is time and time is money and options are limited when it comes to buying stoves which are not commodities.

I get a TON of early radiant heat from the current single wall setup right after I do a cold start. This is when my stove is still cool enough to put my palm on the stove body. I don't know why the Chinook 30 would be any different with the bypass open. Of course a telescoping single wall will put out less due to the overlapping sections.

Ok, this is what i see. Maybe you will be able to see something different. I have double wall telescoping like mentioned before.
I also have a flue probe reading the actual internal temp. I see beverly 450 to 500 for just a few minutes by the time that the cat is ready to be engage. at that point with a BK, you still not getting that much heat from the flue. You will get more heat from the front glass (door), on initial fire that what you are going to get from the flue. It will be a different experience regardless that they all have something in common, ( burn wood ).lol

Last edited:

If you run a BK long enough with the bypass open to get a "TON" of heat off the single wall. You are well beyond cat engagement time. You will be wasting your load. You are also unlikely to see waves of wasted heat wafting from your cap. Strange at first but very satisfying to know you are utilizing a great portion of the heat being created before it exits the structure. Best of luck on the 30. I am sure you will love it.