Questions about stove pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MontanaLife

Mar 24, 2023
NW Montana
Hi everyone. I'm preparing to have a Drolet wood stove installed. A few questions I have are:
1) which type of double wall pipe is best?
2) what do I need to go through the ceiling of a gambrel style roof?
3) is a stove that heats up to 1200sf sufficient for an 1156 sq ft house with cathedral ceilings?
Thank you.
Looking at the drolet nano or 1 size up.

Hi everyone. I'm preparing to have a Drolet wood stove installed. A few questions I have are:
1) which type of double wall pipe is best?
2) what do I need to go through the ceiling of a gambrel style roof?
3) is a stove that heats up to 1200sf sufficient for an 1156 sq ft house with cathedral ceilings?
Thank you.
Looking at the drolet nano or 1 size up.
You need connector pipe (either single or double wall) to the ceiling where you will transition to insulated chimney pipe supported by some sort of support box provided by the manufacturer. Then just follow their directions for the rest of it

Reactions: MontanaLife
Montana can get cold and the house has additional cubic footage. Go one size up for reserve capacity if this is to be a 24/7 heater.

Is there a ceiling fan in the room?

Montana can get cold and the house has additional cubic footage. Go one size up for reserve capacity if this is to be a 24/7 heater.

Is there a ceiling fan in the room?
Yes there is a huge ceiling fan. I'm a lifer, so yes I know the Temps. I think I need a special piece to go through the roof, but can't remember what it's called.

Yes there is a huge ceiling fan. I'm a lifer, so yes I know the Temps. I think I need a special piece to go through the roof, but can't remember what it's called.
A cathedral ceiling support box? Then flashing

Reactions: MontanaLife
Hey Montana,

You can go with Single wall or Double wall pipe up to the Ceiling support box. I have had friends that were super glad they had double wall pipe when they had a chimney fire. They were using double wall DuraVent pipe and it got so hot (2000 + degrees) that it burnt the black paint right off of the stove pipe almost instantly. Something to think about especially if you have high winds in your area. A spark arrestor on the chimney cap can help with that but there are down side's to the spark arrestor in the winter time. It can build up ice etc.. and clog your vent pipe.

In my eyes DuraVent makes the best vent pipe. DuraVent makes several different brands but if you're looking for quality I would go with DuraVent (DuraTech) it's their higher end brand of piping and is a lot sturdier than the other brands like DuraVent (DuraPlus)

Everything you need is listed on this website www.thestovemaster.com but currently some items are out of stock. They can get them shipped to your home if needed. They package their product very well too so It doesn't get damaged in shipping. Stove vent pipe is one of the hardest things to ship because it can be damaged so easily.

DuraVent makes a telescoping double wall pipe that goes up to the ceiling support box. I would recommend getting that so that you don't have to piece together the distance between your stove and the ceiling.

So you will need double wall pipe coming out of the stove to the ceiling box, there are also trim pieces and adapters that go with the piping to make it look all fancy. Once you have your double wall to the ceiling support box then you will need tripple wall from there out to the roof. I am not sure what is code in Montana but in utah the Tripple wall pipe needs to be up at least 6ft from the shingles or higher. There is a flashing for the shingles and a storm collar as well. Everything you would need to get going is listed on the website below. Please reach back out to me if you have any questions.

www.thestovemaster.com

If you want your Tripple wall pipe to last the longest and not rust etc. I would definitly go with the tripple wall stainless steel pipe:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If you want to boost your heat output

Or just run the stove properly so you aren't wasting heat out the chimney. They are installing a modern clean burning stove and if run properly they won't have much heat left in the exhaust to spare.

Reactions: Jotul_Bird
MontanaLife,

I would check out Jotul stoves if you haven't, I think they make some of the best stoves out there. With your high ceilings you may want to go with something a little bigger to get more coverage.

What about all the issues people are reporting with the 500 v3?

The stove is the heater, not the stove pipe.
If you want to boost creosote accumulation with a noisy device, a stack robber is the way to do it.

What about all the issues people are reporting with the 500 v3?
I wasn't aware of many but it seems the older versions were the best. I have a Jotul f600 and love it. I bought three F602's a few years back before they discontinued them and they are amazing!

I wasn't aware of many but it seems the older versions were the best. I have a Jotul f600 and love it. I bought three F602's a few years back before they discontinued them and they are amazing!
Maybe you should look into the stoves you are recommending a little bit.

Or just run the stove properly so you aren't wasting heat out the chimney. They are installing a modern clean burning stove and if run properly they won't have much heat left in the exhaust to spare.
Interesting, what kind of temperature are you guessing the exhaust to be?

Interesting, what kind of temperature are you guessing the exhaust to be?
If run properly it should be roughly 500 degrees in order to keep the exhaust above the condensation point until it exits the chimney

Catalytic stoves often run with lower typical exhaust temps, they may be in the 400º range.

Reactions: bholler
Catalytic stoves often run with lower typical exhaust temps, they may be in the 400º range.
Yes absolutely right. I was going for a rough average. But 400 absolutely is doable

I think I understand what your asking. The unit is the exhaust so 100 percent
Does that answer what you were looking for?
Nevermind this is pointless