Questions for Jotul Firelight owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I read through the reviews but there aren't many there so wondering if I could get some feedback on the Firelight. What do you like, what don't you like, does the ash pan work, what are the real world burn times, etc. Outside of the doors, is it much different from the Oslo?

Thanks!!

It is 1 cu ft different from the Oslo which makes it 33% greater in wood holding and burning capacity. Jotul ash systems are consistent between these models and work well. They use a substantial grate and large ashpan behind a gasketed door to let the big coals burn out and the small stuff fall into the ash pan.

I'm a very new Firelight owner, but after almost 5 months:

I like the ash disposal system a lot. I had a cover and a second ash tray made. It's now very easy to pop the full tray out, cover it and slip in the new one. In the coldest weather, I do this daily; doesn't take more than 5 minutes.

I do not load up the stove before leaving it overnight. Even without doing so, there are plaenty of coals left to quickly restart in the morning. With dry wood, it takes no more than 15 minutes to get back up to 500 degrees surface temperature.

I do wish there were some sort of thermostatic control for air supply.

The stove really requires very dry wood and is not easy to get started if you do not have a good bed of coals even with dry wood.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the stove - puts out a lot of heat.

Thanks. Anyone else?

Im surprised that there are so few Firelight owners out here. I think if I could repurchase, I would have just gotten it for the extra cold nights. It seems like the dealers really push the Oslo over it too, at least the ones i've talked to.

Yeah, I'm surprised, too. My dealer was really pushing the Oslo, too and was sure the Firelight was too big. What kind of burn times do you get with your Oslo with what kind of wood?

Thats what my dealer said too. I use a mix of hardwoods...this year I had red oak, cherry, white ash, and maple. Next years supply has white birch, cherry, aspen, white oak, and red oak. I have no problem loading the stove up at night and getting a good 8-10 hrs with usable coals in the morning to relight. During the day I normally go 3-5 hrs between reloads with 3-4 logs. The Oslo is a great stove and I really do enjoy it, I just think for the small difference in price, it is smarter to go with the Firelight. My father just bought a Firelight week or two ago....I've only gotten to check it out in action briefly but im planning on testing it out soon.

That's great. Can you let me know what you think after you've seen the Firelight run? I'd love to know what you think of the differences between the two.

Yea not a problem....I have seen it run, but my fathers wood is far from ideal and it was in the last break in step. Next time I go down i'll throw some of my wood in my trunk and give it a workout.

wendell said:
That's great. Can you let me know what you think after you've seen the Firelight run? I'd love to know what you think of the differences between the two.

Ditto here, My castine is a tad too small so next step up is either the oslo or firelight.

Hello,
My first post...
I have burned in a Firelight CB since 2000, 5 to 6 cords a year, consistent. Overall rating A to B+

Good ash system
Nice visual,both fire and stove
Takes BIG logs.

Dislikes:
No thermostat on the intake side. Small logs burn fast and the air lever works minimaly.
Particular on wood, though, once going, it will cook anything.

I only empty my ashes every few days, no more less 3. With a deep bed, the coals keep far longer than with less ash. My stove easily stays lit for 8 to 9 hours with a large log at night. The flue damper is critical to it's usage.

Several years ago I overheated the stove (probably the 10th time or so) and the two panels above the inside roof collapsed as these two panels had sagged from the heat. I wound up taking all the burn pipes out then flipping the plates over, now convex, and increasing the capcity substantially. The stove actually performs better now!

Back in the early 80's , I had a Vermont Castings Defiant which I liked a bunch. I especially liked the thermostaticaly controlled intake.
JZ

I went from a large 3+ CF cat stove to an Oslo. At first, I was very concerned that I would not get the solid all-nighters that I was used to with the CDW. But I have learned how to use the Oslo and I have found that it meets my needs well. I do have enough coals after 8 hrs to restart the fire without a problem. However, I think the Firelight would be better if I lived in a colder climate like you have in WI. Also, on the coldest days of the year, like we had last week, I could use the extra heating capacity of the Firelight. But on average for what we get, the Oslo is ideal for me. Of course you also need to consider the space your heating and the heating load requirements.

Ash tray works fine and compares well with my old CDW.

One of the ski lodges up here in southern NH uses an F 600 Firelight CB to heat the upstairs and it is a fairly good size room with soaring cathedral ceilings. I'm guessing they are heating roughly 2,000 sq. ft. with 20 ft. ceilings and walls of glass. Basically it is a big, simple, cast iron stove that takes big logs and can throw some serious heat. It's currently Jotul's largest stove. If you want a big, reliable, cast iron stove, it is a good option.

My BIL has had one since 2006, when I go over there, I give it go. It's big, it's beautiful.
Runs like a champ just like my Oslo.

WoodButcher

wendell said:

Another thread just reminded me to follow up with you on this.

I was at my fathers yesterday and got to play around a bit with the stove. The Firelight runs great and is just as easy to operate as my Oslo. I noticed the stove throws off a bit more heat too. I think this mostly has to do with the fact that it has a good deal more cast iron to it. The firebox really isnt all that much bigger and due to the angle of the firebox, you cant get all that much more wood in it (just my opinion). But you are also adding an extra 2" in firewood length so I suppose that could help too. It is noticeably taller but this isnt solely because of a bigger firebox, I noticed that the area above the baffle is much greater than the Oslo (looked close to 2" taller)....but like I said, you are heating a bigger chunk of cast in that area. All in all the stove is great, but I think that you mostly benefiting from the extra mass of the Firelight.

when I had one, It got really good burn times, the ashpan is a handy feature, and it would hold big motha logs... if you couldn't get a big round thru the side door you could get one in thu the big double door front. It is picky about wood, and getting one up to speed from a cold start requires a little more than average time (unless you crack open the ashpan door, BUT: doing so is VERY bad for your stove and negates your wtty.. and trust me, they KNOW what parts of the stove become damaged, and where, when you use the ashpan in theis manner!)

I should note that even tho I said the firebox didnt seem all that much bigger than my Oslo, my father only had 18" splts and none in the 22-24" range. I do think it will make a decent difference cutting your wood at 22-24" in both heat output and burn times compared to the Oslo. I havnt even been able to test my Oslo with a full load of wood at 20-22"....I'll get to see the difference in my stove next season as all my wood seasoning outside is 20-22". Im really not a big fan of the angled firebox on the Firelight the more I think of it...but thats just me.

my opinion the front doors on the Firelight makes some shy away from it, but most that i hear from use the side door & not the front. Any firelight users use the front doors on a reg basis? How do you like it?

I love the glass doors but never load wood through them, BTW, I broke the glass, twice, my fault, and replaced them with glass from a place in Kentucky for 25% of the makers price!

Status
Not open for further replies.