Questions from my first few fires of the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hilly

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2006
Vancouver Island, Canada
I got a Regency i2400 insert in March and had a few good months with it and now I have a few questions.

1) If you don't see smoke coming out of your chimney can you assume that there isn't much creosote being built up? This is of course assuming that you have a fire going!

2) When I had my chimney swept in the summer (no chance I would do it, the roof is steep and the sweep had to remove a 24x24 concrete stepping stone to put his brushes down) he noticed that the stainless steel top that covered the liner wasn't really doing anything (because the big concrete cap protects the opening) so he removed it. Could this have helped my draft because it seems much better this year? The chimney is about a 25' interior chimney that is lined with a ss flex liner.

Any thoughts would be great!
And thanks for the help with all my other questions over the past few months!

Hilly.

Hilly,

1) Yes.

2) When I had my chimney swept in the summer (no chance I would do it, the roof is steep and the sweep had to remove a 24x24 concrete stepping stone to put his brushes down) he noticed that the stainless steel top that covered the liner wasn't really doing anything (because the big concrete cap protects the opening) so he removed it. Could this have helped my draft because it seems much better this year?

?!?!

If I understand you correctly this 24x24 concrete stone was sitting atop the chimney & yet you could run the heater last year???

Dave

i'm betting his concrete cap was elevated above the chimney. i had one also that had to be removed to allow my liner to be installed.

Yes, Bruce is correct otherwise it would have been a bit smokey in the house! Or maybe it could work like one of those rain covers that cover diesel exhausts. When enough pressure builds up it opens up!

hilly said:
Yes, Bruce is correct otherwise it would have been a bit smokey in the house!

Agreed! :lol:

hilly said:
Or maybe it could work like one of those rain covers that cover diesel exhausts. When enough pressure builds up it opens up!

That would be some trick swinging 24 x 24 concrete open! :lol:

Anyway, good to see that you got your heater operation well under control.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.