Questions Installing Pellet Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireManNorth

Sep 26, 2014
Norther than North
Hi there!

I'm just about to install venting for my first pellet stove, a PelPro PP130. After meticulous reading on the internet, I now know that a vertical draft is good, and the more, the merrier. I'm looking at a ~6' rise with a 3' run for my design, which should keep me within manual instructions, local code, etc.

My questions are

a) Should I go for an Up-and-Out design or an Out-and-Up design? As I live in Northern USA, cold winters are hella cold, and I'm worried about cold days forcing the exhaust to backdraft. As such, I'm inclined to go for an "Up-then-Out" design, as that will keep the stovepipe far warmer than being outside. And yes, the lady already approved the stovepipe being visible ;)

b) The edge of the deck is exactly 2' away...barely to code. Any tips on putting fireproofing / heat shielding on that edge to calm my mind?

Any tips are appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum!
The "out and up" or "out an up" is really more of a personal choice IMO. I took the up approach and painted the pipe black. It looks more traditional to me. It can also have the benefit of a warmer pipe and less creosote buildup.

Termination caps are available that will allow you to direct the exhaust away from the deck.

if it's just a 6' rise there won't be a lot of chance for the gasses to cool and cause creosote either way. If you said 20' up that might but even then the pipe is double wall, insulated. It won't back draft, it takes very little heat at all to cause natural draft in vertical piping with a rise of 6' or more with outdoor winter temps, room air will rise through that and even on a low burn your stove produces hotter gasses than 70 deg room air.. No the concern is creosote from gasses cooling before they hit outside air . But it's rather moot if you have already decided on the inside up and out approach anyway.

Up and out puts the cleanout T inside which is sometimes harder to get to and needs a little extra care when cleaning.
Out and up puts the cleanout T outside easier to get to and if you spill a little ash it isn't inside then.
I went with the up and out because I wanted the look of a wood burning stove.
I suspect that it would work equally either way. Which way does the install manual suggest for your stove.

The manual has a variety of designs, but either would appear to work.

As for the alternate termination cap, around these parts, I've really only seen these horizontal caps:

Ynb0Sqx.jpg

Is there a preferred alternative?

edit: And while I do have a preference for Up-and-Out, I'm not glued to it. If I've chosen something grievously wrong, please let me know!

A follow to my own questions, it seems that the easiest vent termination cap to get around here is the one in my previous post, despite it probably not being ideal for my situation. Looking online, I've come to the realization that the style that I probably want is either a 45o or a 90o termination with a spark arrestor. Rather than buy one online and wait how-many-weeks for it to arrive, is it possible to buy a pellet stove vent pipe 45o bend and just put a spark arrestor on the end, or is such DIY the definition of "failing code, burning your house down"?

edit: Another concern of mine with buying a part online is mixing pellet stove vent company products (ie: DuraVent with Selkirk) if their male/female ends aren't compatible with one another.

edit2: Thanks for the all the help friends, every response so far has been appreciated!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.