Questions on Budget Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uly

Nov 19, 2014
MI
Looking at buying a "budget" insert. Been reading up on the Englander 13 nci (Homedepot $1,099) and Century CW 2900 (Menards $1,099) to replace our Defiance Company Insert.

We've never used the Defiance Insert because the chimney needs a liner and I haven't wanted to pay $1000 for a 8inch liner and oval adapter on a stove we don't really care to look at (small viewing area, generally rough shape of the insert). Also, from what I gather the new stoves need a 6inch liner.

But, now we're ready to buy a new stove and the 6inch liner.

http://www.menards.com/main/heating...ntury-cw2900-wood-insert/p-2123026-c-6884.htm

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Englander-1-500-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Fireplace-Insert-13-NCI/100638341

We've been able to find lots of info on the Englander but not so much on the Century. Does anyone know what size the Century is? Prior threads and Menards website state 2.1 cubic ft firebox but the manufactures website and documentation states 2.4 cubic ft firebox.

I am leaning towards the Century because of its bigger size, but I do like the reputation Englander seems to have (at least on there bigger stoves). Would you fine folks lean towards one of these inserts over the other?

Also, are we missing out on something drastically better by purchasing a $1,000 stove and not a $2-$3k non cat Travis Ind, Napoleon, or Enviro etc? I'v went to the local wood stove shop, reputable dealer my Dad bought his Avalon there years ago...Looked at the stoves and they just don't seem to be much different. Yes, some extra bells and whistles... shiny nickle plated handles, cast iron surrounds, but other than that... is it the same pig with lipstick? The weights seem about the same, is one manufactured with better materials? Steel is steel no?

Also, just for reference on my setup: Insert is for secondary heat and comfort not our main source of heat. Exterior chimney, stove will need a liner. Burning hardwood. House is 2200 sqft colonial on a walkout basement. The fireplace tho is in the back living room on a slab. This room does have a large 7ft opening into the kitchen.

Attachments

• 1119141437.jpg
    1119141437.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 282
How tall is that fireplace? Maybe you can get a freestanding stove in there which would increase your options.

Check also the mantel/trim clearances of the units you are considering. The Century has pretty low ones, not sure of the 13NCI.

Any of the newer inserts/stoves will require dry wood with less than 20% internal moisture. How long has your wood been split and stacked?

You might throw the 2.4 cf Drolet insert into the mix. You can order them online from Lowe's. Thicker top plate than the other two.

http://www.drolet.ca/en/products/gas/escape-1800-i-wood-insert

Great find, the Lowes in Michigan don't seem to carry Drolet tho... Website says its currently unavailable, other wise that one is for sure top of my list. My local shop also recently stopped carrying Drolet, I know they are manufactured by the same company that makes Century. They CW2900 I linked to at Menards looks to be almost identical? Lowes website has it at 5/16" steel top plate but the Drolet website says 3/16"...

How tall is that fireplace? Maybe you can get a freestanding stove in there which would increase your options.
Check also the mantel/trim clearances of the units you are considering. The Century has pretty low ones, not sure of the 13NCI.
Any of the newer inserts/stoves will require dry wood with less than 20% internal moisture. How long has your wood been split and stacked?

We have a good supply of Ash and Oak, my parents burn, been stockpiling for a while now.

I'll take some measurements and report back.

The stove body is 3/16". But the top plates on all of Drolet's flat top stoves are 5/16. The Century and the Englander are all 3/16".

That old beast is flipping heavy, walk it out with an old 2x2. Could only get the outer dimensions of the fireplace opening H25.5" x W46" , looks plenty deep.

That sure is wide, I measured twice. Seems like many of the surrounds for the inserts are 44" wide, I believe the Century's is 50". Anyone know how wide the Englanders surround is?

Even if a stove is an option, I'll have some convincing to do in terms of looks....:rolleyes: over an insert.

Last edited:
I guess the picture is a bit deceiving. 25.5" height is not tall enough for decent size stove. You may need to go for an insert then. Another option would be the Heatilator WINS18: http://www.heatilatorecochoice.com/products/details.asp?cat=wood-inserts&f=WINS18 May not be quite as cheap as the other units but we had several positive reports about it and it is built really solid.

Be aware that ash dries in one good summer when split but oak needs at least 2 years if not 3 to get below 20% moisture.

Reactions: AnalogKid
Shoot,

I see what your talking about now Grisu. Century says u need 20" to combustibles above stove. That would be a hair over 43" off the hearth for me, bottom of my mantle is at 36" :eek:

Great find, the Lowes in Michigan don't seem to carry Drolet tho... Website says its currently unavailable, other wise that one is for sure top of my list.

Do you have a Menards, nearby? I've seen the 1800i right on the shelf, in the store, at mine. They seem like a solidly built unit, though I've never seen one in action.

Do you have a Menards, nearby? I've seen the 1800i right on the shelf, in the store, at mine. They seem like a solidly built unit, though I've never seen one in action.

Ya, have two Menards within an hour drive, I'll call in the morning to check. I'v walked around them alot, never seen one in stock, website pulls up the 1800i like lowes does but says "Unfortunately the Vendor is unable to supply this item at this time, please check back again in the future."

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2431482-c-6884.htm

I wonder if Drolet isn't being sold in my neck of the woods anymore and they're pushing Century now.

I guess the picture is a bit deceiving. 25.5" height is not tall enough for decent size stove. You may need to go for an insert then. Another option would be the Heatilator WINS18: http://www.heatilatorecochoice.com/products/details.asp?cat=wood-inserts&f=WINS18 May not be quite as cheap as the other units but we had several positive reports about it and it is built really solid.

Be aware that ash dries in one good summer when split but oak needs at least 2 years if not 3 to get below 20% moisture.

I have a WINS18 and love it. I've sang its praises in several threads on here. And BrotherBart had me breaking out the tape measure to check the thickness of the steel used on the top plate, 1/4".

Ya, have two Menards within an hour drive, I'll call in the morning to check. I'v walked around them alot, never seen one in stock, website pulls up the 1800i like lowes does but says "Unfortunately the Vendor is unable to supply this item at this time, please check back again in the future."

http://www.menards.com/main/p-2431482-c-6884.htm

I wonder if Drolet isn't being sold in my neck of the woods anymore and they're pushing Century now.

Mine, too. I see the 1400 is available. My bet would be that high demand has tapped out Drolet's stock. It happens, sometimes, and this is the highest demand time, of a high demand year, what with energy costs. If you're really into this unit, it might be worth your time to contact them, and ask. I got pretty quick response, to my questions. Just remember that this is their busiest possible time, to try and answer.

Otherwise, the others you've mentioned have their advocates, as well. They may be your path of least resistance.

The Century clearances just barely work with the heat shield. The unit stands 23 1/8" tall, and your allowed min of 11" to combustible top surround. I have 34 1/2" from hearth to combustible, leaving me 3/8" extra space... Its awful close, is that okay?

Looks like the Heatilator WINS18 doesn't meet my clearances even with its heat shield, the WINS18 is even 3" shorter, seems to have more strict
clearances.

Attachments

• clearances wood insert.JPG
    clearances wood insert.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 171
Status
Not open for further replies.