Questions on Chimney installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ptm01

Nov 17, 2019
NE
Building a house on an island in Maine with insulated walls and about 1100 sf per floor. The house plan has a wood stove on the first floor with a metal chimney, going through the second floor ( within a chase) and then the attic to the metal roof.
The local hardware supply sells Selkirk double sleeve Sure-Temp Chimney systems.

The original chimney design had the chimney going straight up to the roof on the south side, near the peak of the roof. But the peak of the roof has some complicated metal work at the peak. It looks less risky to put two elbows in and have the chimney exit lower down on the metal roof, where there are not complicated metal seams.

We managed to find a used Upland 107 stove that is in great shape. It has a 6" flue. My wife likes the classic design, which is important her.

Do I need to choose a larger flue size because I'm putting in 2 elbows? The chase that the chimney goes through is a square 12x12. So, I could put in a flue with a large internal diameter. I'm not sure what the code requirements are for the distance between the outer diameter of the flue and the chase itself. The house location has plenty of wind during the winter - average wind speed 9-14 mph.

Any advice on these issues, or other issues I should be aware of would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter

Attachments

• upland_107.pdf
    384.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Sure Temp Installation Guide.pdf
    531.4 KB · Views: 88
We managed to find a used Upland 107 stove that is in great shape

Used may be a bit of a understatement. Appears as if they discontinued production in '89 prior to stringent new EPA regulations.
Guessing you may want to inquire with your home owners insurance as to whether that model will appease there requirements. Rather questionable.
So many new modern stoves available. Take a look. Most any will out perform the model you are considering.
I vote for zero offsets/elbows or bends in your vent sys. Mostly if you are building new. Optimal time to do it correctly. Best of luck of your new place!

Thanks for the advice. I'm assuming elbows reduce draft. Do you know by what %?
This may sound like a childish questions, do elbows increase creosote? or make it harder to clean out creosote?

-Peter

6” class A requires 2” clearance. Your 12x12 chase is absolute minimum. So if you offset with elbows, you will need to be perfectly centered. It can be done, better to give your self some room though. The elbows are 30 degree, one set won’t hurt your draft much at all. We rarely get away without a set in a chimney system on a tall house.

That's good to know. Thanks for information.
Do you think I should try to bring in an outside air supply for the wood stove? Are there any rules or regulations on how to do that? Can you bring it down from the attic along the same chase that the chimney comes down? Or do you need to bring it in horizontally from the side of the house?

You can either go below the floor and exit through a band board or out the wall behind the stove. The outside air shouldn’t terminate above the floor of the stove.

There are also 15 degree elbows available for many chimney systems. But I would avoid elbows if possible. They just add more cost and it will put more chimney outside the house in your case. I would always choose to exit right next to or through the peak given the choice. It is much easier to flash and keeps most of the chimney protected

Reactions: webby3650
There are also 15 degree elbows available for many chimney systems. But I would avoid elbows if possible. They just add more cost and it will put more chimney outside the house in your case. I would always choose to exit right next to or through the peak given the choice. It is much easier to flash and keeps most of the chimney protected
Thanks for the information. I don't know anything about chimney sweeping. How much more difficult is it to sweep a chimney with elbows in it?

Thanks for the information. I don't know anything about chimney sweeping. How much more difficult is it to sweep a chimney with elbows in it?
Not to much more difficult

Be aware that your chimney cannot exceed 30* from vertical, so when you say "elbows" you are talking 15 or 30* fittings. The advise on checking with your insurance company is imperative really before you go any further. In an event, they are not your friend.