• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NVBrian

Jun 22, 2022
Colorado
We recently purchased a wood stove (Pleasant Hearth 1800) and for the most part calculating clearances seems pretty straight forward - except the rear of the stove.

Is the clearance measurement taken from the:

20220622_170212.jpg

Red line - Back of stove box
Blue line: Top of stove
Yellow line: The back of the stove which appears to be a heat shield/blower mount

Thanks!

Good question. I would assume from the yellow line.

Reactions: NVBrian
There is no diagram in the user's manual?

I know in mine they measure from the top edge of the stove.

61DBC767-957C-4691-8BE9-9B13919F0CC7.jpeg

The rear heat shield is not optional, it's fixed to the stove. I take that to mean the back of the stove as illustrated in the manual. There are no clearances listed for the stove without the shield. The way other stove manuals list this clearance is irrelevant. The guiding document is the manual that comes with the stove.

FWIW, I always try to exceed minimum clearances where possible, particularly if the stove is highly radiant.

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 10.34.58 AM.png

Last edited:
We recently purchased a wood stove (Pleasant Hearth 1800) and for the most part calculating clearances seems pretty straight forward - except the rear of the stove.

Is the clearance measurement taken from the:

View attachment 296460

Red line - Back of stove box
Blue line: Top of stove
Yellow line: The back of the stove which appears to be a heat shield/blower mount

Thanks!
I have the same stove. It's from the back of the heat shield. The back of the stove doesn't get that hot. Have a nice fire going and can have a fan right behind it no problem and just warm to the touch.