Questions on DIY Insert install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidpsalt

Sep 24, 2011
Blue Ridge Mtns, Georgia
I have been shopping for wood inserts to fit my prefab fireplace - my most limiting factor for fit is the height of my existing firebox - it is right at 20.75 inches iwth a depth of 18". I got pricing on a new Regency i2400 and was shocked with a $4,500 installed price. I am guessing the stove is $2,000 - and my 6" 35 foot flew insert and associated parts would come in around $1,000 or less - hence their installation charges are $1,500 for a 6 hour job?

What am I missing here?

Since I don't want to spend $4,500 for this setup, I have been searching for a used wood burning insert and have come across a LOPI Model THE ANSWER-95 which I believe can be used as an insert if Ibuy a blower and surround. Is this correct?

I have also found a 20 foot SS 6" flex flue liner that is lightly used for only $150. Can I use a connector to piece together another 15 foot SS Flex flue liner to meet my need for $35'? I would then use a proper foil insulation wrap for the entire flue liner and install with proper connector to the stove and a new flue cap,etc. on the top end.

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

I am guessing I need to budget for one continuous 35' flue liner and get a professional installer to make all this happen.

Thanks!

Lopi Answer is a small insert and you will be feeding it often. The Regency is a quality medium sized unit. Lopi is a high quality unit as well. I almost bought the Regency unit you were looking at, but the height was also too high for me fireplace. Take a look at the Enviro line up. Plenty of happy users here. The 1700 has larger firebox than the Regency, and comes standard with a blower. The Regency has a better door latch than the basic Enviro. They are very comparable otherwise. Enviro inserts are available in several different styles too. Enviro inserts also have a removable flue collar that attaches inside the insert, which made my low height install very easy.

Personally, I wouldn't piece together a liner like that.

I installed my insert myself. I think I came in under $2700 dollars total. I had all the tools I needed though.

My biggest piece of advice is to take your time planning this install if your going to DIY. Make a cardboard mockup the dimensions of the insert that your interested in to make sure that it will fit. Install a block off plate if you can. It's a little extra work, but I feel it made a difference.

If you tell us a bit more about your setup, you'll get a lot more advice.

The high price might be the height? Will they need special equipment to reach the top of this flue or is this a basement install? With a 35' flue I would consider downsizing to 5.5 or even 5" liner.

My chimney is high and has a steep pitch on the roof so yes - ladders will be required.

Agreed on the flue size - they told me I would need a 5.5" liner and the insulation blanket wrapped around the liner from top to bottom.

I have done some homwork on the "chimneylinerdepot.com" and found that the liner and required components run right at $800 including insulation wrap.

If I source a used insert, what would I expect to pay for the installation?

I have a line on a Lopi for $700 but would need to buy a blower and either fabricate a surround or buy one.

Thoughts?

First off, which Lopi model? Can you tell us a little bit about the space you are trying to heat? Square footage? Layout? Insulation and windows? Are you trying to heat your entire house, or will this just be for supplemental heat or ambiance?

Sorry if this seems like a PITA, I'd just hate to see you buy a small insert like the Answer and expect it to heat a large space or provide long burn times.

Also, don't rule out a self install. We've had members rent JLG boom lifts to do liner installs. You could possibly save yourself a good bit of money.

I just priced out a boom lift and it was $575 for the day. $1500 may sound like a lot of money but not for the length of the liner. What size is the existing flue? If they've got to fight the whole length and chip out the exisitng liner I'd say that's a bargin. I've seen prices from 2-3k just for a reline let alone the stove install.

I paid 1400 for my liner plus installation. It included everything. Something to be said for someone else lifting a 500 lb stove into the house, climbing on the roof, top plate, bottom plate. That being said, i do think it is very expensive seeing as how it only took them 3 hrs (two people). I might have done it myself if i had found this site first, but im not sure. You have to ask yourself what your time and patience is worth.

I would definately go with a continuous liner. I wouldnt want to worry about it separating as it cant be monitored. Added peace of mind. The cost of a boom rental basically eats up all of your savings. If a couple hundred is worth it you, then go for it.

Make sure what ever you do, you find a stove THAT IS APPROVED FOR ZC BOX INSTALLS AND THAT THE HEARTH HAS THE PROPER R RATINGS FOR A STOVE. Tile or marble over plywood don't cut it.
Factor in proper insurance-liability-workers comp-job completion- etc etc, thats a large part of the install costs. Also that hooking up inside a zc box is a super PIA, dispite what mfg say, most stv in zc simply don't work out.

Dave, did you take a look at the Enviro line of inserts? They are just a little over 19" tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.