Questions on replacing stove & existing chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Highland3r

Oct 2, 2023
Montana
How’s it going, I’m replacing an old wood stove with a 8” class a chimney with a Drolet escape 1800. I will post a picture of the current stove and alcove. What I was wondering is would I get good enough draft if I run 3-4ft of 6” into an adapter above the alcove where it meeting the top of the wall. My chimney runs through the attic out the roof and is probably around 15+ feet. I’m above 6000ft in altitude and this old wood stove works great just eats wood and is cracked and worn pretty bad. The chimney is in good shape and have never had an issue. I’d appreciate any input, thank you.

7DC4AD51-CB3A-4504-8D7A-AB259C61C5D7.jpeg

I'd consider going up in size to a larger Drolet like the Myriad III or Legend III or the HT3000. It should be ok on the 15 ft chimney if it was 6". Transitioning to 8" will slow down draft, so a double wall connector should be used.

Reactions: Highland3r
I'd consider going up in size to a larger Drolet like the Myriad III or Legend III or the HT3000. It should be ok on the 15 ft chimney if it was 6". Transitioning to 8" will slow down draft, so a double wall connector should be used.
Thank you. Do you think installing a damper at the stove connection would help?

No, I would not add a damper. It will add a little restriction, even when open. In this case, everything should be done to compensate for the increased flue diameter of the chimney. Run 6" connector up to the ceiling support.

Reactions: Highland3r