Questions on the set up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dumaspup

Nov 17, 2007
NH
So here is the plan.
After finding a outdoor furnace I hope to heat 3 buildings. I have estimated a 250,000 BTU unit will do the job.
Building 1 the house 1,400 sqf. The plan is to make the run in to a heat exchanger. From that to a manifold where it will be broken into 3 zones.
1 zone for the basement just one hanging modine style heater. the basement is 22 feet by 36 feet. I would like to keep it around 68.
1 zone for the first floor going with base board heat. one loop around the out side.
1 zone for the second floor. Same as the first.
The furnace will be just under 100 feet from the house.
The second and third buildings are around 150 feet from the furnace location. I would like to run both lines for them in the same trench than split when I get between them.
Building #2 is 20 x 30 and I am planing on just one modine style heater for that building.
Building #3 is 25 x 38 and I am thinking the same for it as building #2. If I can swing it I think this building should have 2 heaters but if not I will run the wood stove as a source of the BTU short fall that 1 heater would have.
For the modine heaters do I need to put in a heat exchanger? Or can I just run the water through them and back to the furnace?
Thanks for any help.

No heat exchanger needed for modines.

Status
Not open for further replies.