Questions regarding refurbishing an older Harman Accentra- I need some informed advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SciGuy

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Aug 17, 2007
Constableville, NY
I picked up a 2002 Harman Accentra last winter with the intention of bringing it back to some level of its former glory and passing it on to someone to enjoy its beauty and ambiance over the coming years. I've finally gotten around to work on the stove and realize that I need some input in part due to changes made between the Accentra and Accentra-2 and my inability to fully comprehend the Harman parts diagram that covers both. I'm really looking for an Accentra expert.

One of the differences between the two Accentra models is the hopper lid hinge system and I believe locking mechanism. My stove has the two separate hinges. It came with no gasket around the glass and some cobbled bolts to attach the glass to the hinges. I obviously need a gasket and appropriate lid screws. I'm not sure if I already have the appropriate latching mechanism. Here's what I can see that I believe is the original locking mechanism. It appear that the metal tab with the small hole in it mounted below the handle of the lid is meant to spring over the ball that projects from the piece mounted below the hopper's rim. Have I got that right?

Accentra lid lock area.jpg

Thanks so much for any informed replies.

Hugh

Last edited:
While still looking for some input regarding the lid latch I'll go on to my next question.

When I obtained the stove there was no flame guide with it and in looking at the burn pot it's obvious that a new one is needed. Perhaps it had been run for a good long time without a flame guide and that contributed to the wear pattern in the area where the flame guide would have sat. In removing the burn pot the top two studs unscrewed from the stove rather than the nuts spinning off. Are replacement studs available? Are they anything special beyond 1/4 -20 threaded material? Interestingly, the top two nuts had lock washers installed while the bottom two didn't. Is this normal? Are the nuts available? Anything special?

Accentra burn pot.jpg

Any thoughts on the burn pot holding studs and lock nuts?

As always, thanks for any informed replies.

Hugh

While still looking for some input regarding the lid latch I'll go on to my next question.

When I obtained the stove there was no flame guide with it and in looking at the burn pot it's obvious that a new one is needed. Perhaps it had been run for a good long time without a flame guide and that contributed to the wear pattern in the area where the flame guide would have sat. In removing the burn pot the top two studs unscrewed from the stove rather than the nuts spinning off. Are replacement studs available? Are they anything special beyond 1/4 -20 threaded material? Interestingly, the top two nuts had lock washers installed while the bottom two didn't. Is this normal? Are the nuts available? Anything special?

View attachment 263372

Any thoughts on the burn pot holding studs and lock nuts?

As always, thanks for any informed replies.

Hugh

Here's the stove in her current state plus a look at the stud I'd wouldn't mind replacing.

Accentra stove.jpg

burn pot stud.jpg

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Hugh

Here are all of the Harman part numbers as well.

I picked up a 2002 Harman Accentra last winter with the intention of bringing it back to some level of its former glory and passing it on to someone to enjoy its beauty and ambiance over the coming years. I've finally gotten around to work on the stove and realize that I need some input in part due to changes made between the Accentra and Accentra-2 and my inability to fully comprehend the Harman parts diagram that covers both. I'm really looking for an Accentra expert.

One of the differences between the two Accentra models is the hopper lid hinge system and I believe locking mechanism. My stove has the two separate hinges. It came with no gasket around the glass and some cobbled bolts to attach the glass to the hinges. I obviously need a gasket and appropriate lid screws. I'm not sure if I already have the appropriate latching mechanism. Here's what I can see that I believe is the original locking mechanism. It appear that the metal tab with the small hole in it mounted below the handle of the lid is meant to spring over the ball that projects from the piece mounted below the hopper's rim. Have I got that right?

View attachment 263369

Thanks so much for any informed replies.

Hugh

While still searching for some input regarding earlier questions I might as well all another. The stove came lacking the nylon tensioner wheel and whatever is used to attach it. I'm not certain what is actually missing in total beyond the wheel and a shaft it must rotate around. Does the tensioner bolt into the slot in the motor frame that I've circled in red in the picture below? Should I just go ahead do the "upgrade" that replaces the two sprockets, chain, tensioner and bracket? I've read that some folks have just replaced the rubber dampeners that attach the motor to the frame with washers to clamp that in tight but I still need to have a tension wheel.

Thanks for any informed replies.

Accentra drive.jpg