Quick and cheap AC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did some quick calculations and came up with ~1800 BTU that 5 kg of ice (~11 lb) could give you as cooling capacity. Not sure if someone will really notice that. The air movement due to the fan may be what people actually feel as "cooling".

(P. S. And you better buy the ice at the store or the increased load on your freezer will be actually more than what you gain in melting the ice again.)

Reactions: Ashful
Creative but I'm skeptical to say the least.
Why insulate it? Any heat absorbed by the ice would be coming from the space around the bucket anyway. Isn't that the intent anyhow?
Won't it result in humidification negating the benefits of any cooling?
The power used to make the ice and run the fan as Grisu mentioned?

Reactions: xman23
Why insulate it? Any heat absorbed by the ice would be coming from the space around the bucket anyway. Isn't that the intent anyhow?

I could not listen to the description but I was wondering the same. The only reason I can see for the insulation is to avoid condensation on the outside of the bucket. Of course, that cuts down on the usable space in the bucket. 11 lb of ice that I used is a generous estimate. As shown in the video he maybe has 3 to 4 in there if that.

He left the ice in a closed bag, at least, so that should take care of it.

Creative but I'm skeptical to say the least.
The power used to make the ice and run the fan as Grisu mentioned?
Did you note the 49F measured output temp? Humidity increase would be minimal using frozen water jugs and bottles, and ice packs. Looks more like 16-18 lbs. but that would be a guess. The cooler looks like it could hold a lot more.

Last edited:
Why do some think
Just did some quick calculations and came up with ~1800 BTU that 5 kg of ice (~11 lb) could give you as cooling capacity. Not sure if someone will really notice that. The air movement due to the fan may be what people actually feel as "cooling".

(P. S. And you better buy the ice at the store or the increased load on your freezer will be actually more than what you gain in melting the ice again.)

Exactly what I was thinking. The extra heat going into the room will balance the cooling coming off the ice.

Someone doesn't understand thermodynamics. :)

For sure it took energy to make the ice and the freezer gives off heat. But if the cooler is placed in a small bedroom, that may be a non-issue. The fan heat is trivial and would be running regardless most likely.

Can't you buy window AC units for like $65 at Walmart, these days? Not nearly as expensive as they were 30 years ago.

Without dehumidification, you're going to have to pull a lot more BTUs to have the same comfort.

True, I just like the innovative spirit of this project. For kids starting off $70 could be a budget breaker. And some old apartments don't have enough power to run an AC + refrig, etc..

In low humidity environments like we have out west humidity is not an issue. Swamp coolers work well out here.

Good luck finding a $65 A/C. Lowest I have seen in a long time is around $135.

Looks like the lowest at Walmart is $126.

In October you can find clearance AC units at Target as low as $28. I keep a couple of spares in the basement.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.