Quick cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

investor7952

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2009
Norther NJ
When doing the weekly cleaning is it necessary to vacume all the pellet out of the hopper? Can I just vacume and scrape the burn pot without emptying the hopper?
Also I have a Harmon accentra insert.To gain access to the auger what do I do? The manual for these are very vauge and doent seem to give enough detail.
So far I am very unhappy with this $5,000 investment.My wife wants to kill me for spending this money because now she is even colder than before I got the stove. I posted yesterday about how I cant get the room above 69 an normally stays around 68.The blowers are cranking like crazy feed rate set at 5 and temp set to 75.Last night all of a sudden the room temp mode stopped working and now the stove will only run in stove temp mode.I get a red blinking light in room mode on the status light and the feed motor never comes on ,and the blowers switch to low. I turn it to stove and it fires back up.But still not throwing near, enough heat out to get over 68.This is why I have these cleaning questions. Before I call the store back I want to eliminate dirt
Stove 6 days old today and not happy.Its going to be a long winter !!

Well the Stove obviously has a problem. How many times the light is blinking will tell you an Issue. I had my insert up for just avbout a week and it died on me. The combustion fan was faulty. Dealer replaced it and been cranking out the heat no problem. I have mine set on 75 right now and and heat is keeping my upstairs warmer than I would have had the Oil Heating going at.
I suggest you get straight onto your dealer. 6 days old is still under warranty you know.
Also I never have seen any recommendation about cleaning out the Hopper when cleaning the stove. Unless of course your Pellets are so bad. No reason to.
Good Luck

Thanks for reply.
The status light just keeps blinking never stops in room temp mode.When put in stove mode I just cranked it up to 85 feed at 6 and all is working well.The heat coming out of the blower vents at 3 ft away is 120 degrees.Tha is hot.But for some reason stove wont work in room temp mode.This is the hottest I have gooten the room finaly up to 70 but still wont work in room mode.Perhaps the sensor is messed up.When I do the cleaning I will check the probe at the back of the stove.

As for vacuuming the hopper, I ordinarily let the stove "run out of pellets" on Saturday in order to do my weekly cleaning. The hopper is pretty much empty that way and I vacuum the left over dust and particles. If there are ANY pellets left in the hopper, I wouldn't DARE vacuum them up. Those are the "special" pellets and I save them to burn later!

I am following you around GVA :lol:

Invester7952: I am not familar with inserts, but where is you temp probe sensor located? Make sure that the reason you cant get heat from in "Room Temp" mode isn't because the sensor is too close to a heat source. Your sensor might think that your near temp and keep the burn low, even when further away from the stove is still cool or 68 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.